1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Computer Recording PC Interface?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mor, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mor

mor Guest

I currently am using my computer to record with, so far it has everything I need but I am going to upgrade the ram soon. I am running 2 gigs and I am going to jump to 4. I have a wide range of equipment from synths to turntables, live intruments, mics, digital multitracks and a multitude of processors and rack gear that through an assortment of mixers. I tie all this into one master mixer which feeds into the sound card on the computer.

The master is only a 6 channel with 2 mic channels but it serves just fine as I am tieing into that through 5 other mixers which connect to my actual devices. The 6 channel goes into the line in on the computers PCI Soundblaster Audigy card, it seems to be a pretty decent card and my recordings thusfar have been suitable. What I am wondering is should I invest in a PC Interface like an M-Audio or one of these high-end PCI cards with all the different inputs on it? I don't really need the inputs at all seeing as I can get those from any of the mutiple mixers I have.

But will I notice a greater sound quality using a better PC interface. It seems like I have everything I need and I do not really care about Pro-Tools so I am not hurting for an M-Audio box.

Just trying to understand the advantages of buying one these "PC interface" versus carrying on like I have been.
  2. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Cocoa, FL
    An ADC is a step in the right direction.

Do a search for more on the subject, there are hundreds of threads here on exactly that topic.
  3. KingSix

KingSix Active Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Quebec, Canada
    Home Page:
    If you use XP, 2 gigs of ram are enough for most recording software. And XP dont step the 3 gig barrier.
  4. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Guest

If it works and sounds good to you, then there is no reason to change anything.

Unless you have a problem that you can precisely define and that can be actually solved by a piece of gear (and not by improving your knowledge, skills and/or work process), then save your money and time.

Don't go looking for a problem if you don't have one.

cheers, -Buzzgrowl