1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Concenser mics

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by teachable, Sep 21, 2006.

1. teachable

teachable Guest

This is my first post, so if this has already been asked, I apologize. This site is quite extensive.

Just some background. My wife writes and composes her own music. I am a control freak(that was hard to admit).....and have found that Church PA and sound in general is facinating. I had a Peavey XR600 and a 4 track tape recorder. I have since upgraded(I guess)and built what I would consider a home studio. I just purchased a digital Tascam recorder and a Samson C01 Condenser mic. I have a 16 channel Peavey MK II mixer, with eq's and amps, monitors and all that jazz.

The problem(other than my experience) is that having a bunch of musicians playing together is cool, but when I sit to record, the condenser mic completely dominates me. Now, the only reason why I bought a condenser is because I see them in pictures of recording studios. Bad reason to buy, but I like to be challenged and bought it knowing it would challenge my learning curve.

My gain knob is the only life saver I have found to stop the squeal. I can be going for a short amount of time. Her voice sounds great.....than is starts to creep up. When she stops singing is comes on to? I put all my eq's to zero, just for clueless sake.

Wondering it there are tricks to condensers or if I am using them wrong.....anything. She wants to record and I can't control it.......not good!!

2. jasondirckze

jasondirckze Guest

Are you recording with your monitors on????
  3. teachable

teachable Guest

4. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2003
    That's problem #1. You're creating a feedback loop.

A great source of info is the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook and any basic home recording guide or internet search to help with your configuration.

If you're trying to do a live recording of the band with vocals then you could... use seperate mics for recording and take a line off the mixer that doesn't go to the PA. Or... use headphones or ...add anything that needs a mic later using headphones playing back what you've already recorded.

Welcome to the nightmare.
  5. teachable

teachable Guest

thanks that did help!