1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Condenser Placement

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Guitarfreak, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

How come whenever I see a recording session in commercial/film whatever it always seems that the condensers for vocals are suspended upside down. I have come up with a few possibilities myself.

1. It helps accentuate certain frequencies.

2. It keeps the stand out of the way so the singer can move or read lyrics below the mic.

3. It is part of the studio 'voodoo' to get people to trust your work because it is visually pleasing and easily recognizable. Otherwise I think you'd get people who say "Well I see it suspended upside down in the movies and on TV, so why don't you do that?"

I'm guessing it's a mix of all, but mostly 2 and 3. What do you think?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Originally this was based off of tube microphones. By placing the mic upside down, the heat from the tube did not affect the diaphragm of the mic capsule as much.

For non-tube mic's it is just whatever the engineer wants when he puts up the mic's.

3. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

It keeps the basket out of the lower part of the face as well as what John said. Tube mics produce heat around the tube and the last thing you want is to heat up the diaphram. However. They are designed to work correctly right-side up.

4. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

With dynamics, used handheld, what if the diaphragm heats up? I actually find that our (cheap) gear sounds better when warmed up a little.

And yes, keeping the stand out of the way is kinda important.

5. TheJackAttack

Remy has said that she prefers all her gear to be powered up for at least 20 minutes prior to use. In theory it shouldn't matter but I will power up my condensers and let them warm up too.

I'm not sure this applies to dynamics since no P48 would be applied. The caps in your sound board however...

6. NCdan

NCdan Guest

All tube gear needs to be "heated up" before use to sound its best. Just don't pop it in the microwave to do it. Sorry, bad joke -- "heated up" just sounds funny to me.

7. TheJackAttack

Tube gear definitely requires warmup time to settle in. Remy's contention is that all electronics do better with warmup. Even though I can't actually see a reason why I have found that to be somewhat true as well depending on the mic. Many multi pattern mics are notorious for taking a few minutes to really settle into the new pattern.

8. Codemonkey

Maybe it's just my ears, I go in, and I find that after 20 minutes or so, the gear is sounding better. Maybe the amps heat up or something, and sound "warmer" hurrhurr.

So, umm, yeah - the caps in the board.

9. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

What is this about caps in the board?

10. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

Its when you fire a couple of bullets into the board, you know "tossa cupla caps in it." No wait a minute maybe its capital letters in the board room. Capitols. Like Juneau, juno what I mean.

11. TheJackAttack

You guys are getting in the spirit of things!!! You cap a Behringer mixer but other mixers have capacitors in the circuitry and PCB boards power supplies whatever.

Or maybe it's an Alesis where the problem is it's wearing the cap backwards... or maybe...

12. Codemonkey

Stupid question: is re-capping a 2 year old mixer worth it - is it a massive hassle (limited soldering skill)? What kind of benefits do you get?

Just something I might consider. I've got a dead channel I could practice on.