1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by BKStoltman, Jun 12, 2008.

1. BKStoltman

BKStoltman Guest

Why is it when I look at pictures of radio hosts such as Alex Jones, or Don Imus, to name a few. They either don't have a circular windguard, or a foam cover. They are just speaking directly into the mic. I thought if you do this you get the bad S's and P's.

And if they are using a windguard in studio they are using the foam cover, I thought those are for outside work.

Thanks for your help,

2. MarkG

MarkG Guest

I think there are a couple of issues at play here

One, is that the lowend "plosives" could be more tolerated in broadcast speech, where they would sound awful in a vocal track that needs to sit well with music.

I haven't seen the pictures, but I'm guessing that they are using RE20 or some equivalent. I don't own an RE20 but I'm pretty sure they handle "P's better than your average LDC. (the same could be said for any dynamic mic as opposed to condensers I guess)
  3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    Not everybody needs to use pop filters. When you are a MegaMouth like these high pay guys are and you've been doing it for 40 years, you learn certain techniques. Plus they have a boatload of highly specialized processing on those microphones. Specific and different processing for the host. And yeah, the Electro-Voice RE 20/27 is very popular since it is almost impervious to PLOSIVES. But hey, when not on camera, I stick a big foam chunk on the end of that one also. In many ways, I prefer foam for announcers and lollipops for singers. Besides, I don't wear pantyhose much and it's too expensive to keep buying that stuff for microphones.

I'm not wearing any underwear either
    Ms. Remy Ann David