Connect Acoustic Image Clarus to Mixer properly?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by MC208, Dec 6, 2016.

1. MC208

MC208 Active Member

Yes that's what it says, USB Audio Codec. The top one in the screenshot. That's the input that controls the ZED. And yes, if I make adjustments on the mixer, they are of course reflected in a change on the meters in Vegas. I know that's the correct device. I just don't understand why it says Microphone when it's not a Microphone.

Do you think I need to dump this ZED mixer and get something else?

2. MC208

MC208 Active Member

I remembered I had this issue last time - Just tested this again, and just like last time, no FX came through the Direct Out :-( Now that we want to use the EQ of course it doesn't work. Any ideas?

3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I am admittedly a very poor mind reader. But since I had to go back a review the entire thread to see what you might be talking about - if for whatever reason you want the Claris EQ to be transmitted via the Direct Out XLR on the front panel, press the Post EQ button in the upper right corner.

4. MC208

MC208 Active Member

Not the EQ, the Post EQ button works for the EQ. I'm talking about the effects, Reverb for example. They don't seem to come through the direct out XLR

5. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understood what you meant.

I'm not doubting your account of what's happening, I'm just saying the same thing I said in Dec. 2016. The Clarus manual shows the signal path (which I've reformatted and highlighted here) and it indicates to me that when the Effects are engaged they go straight to the "I/O Buss" that simultaneously feeds the Post Signal to the Direct Out / the Power Amp / and the Headphone Amp. The Pre/Post Switch associated with the Direct Out (which I've circled in red) selects whether the Direct out is fed from the (Purple) I/O Buss signal or the Pre EQ Out Buffer (Yellow). It should also allow you to have the Effects in your Headphones and/or Speaker while having the Direct Out dry.

If that's not the result you're getting then either they've changed the design, or they put the wrong drawing in the manual. Also, if we dare to assume the diagram is right, I'd say that if the Pre/Post Switch wasn't working then the EQ wouldn't be present in the Direct Out either. It either taps into the Yellow (Pre) signal path or the Purple (Post) signal path. If it doesn't put Effects in the Direct Out then you'll just have to accept that it doesn't behave that way.

If I'm not reading that correctly, I'm sure Boswell will set us straight.

Best of luck.

PRE
    Clarus Pre.jpg

6. MC208

MC208 Active Member

Thanks for that detailed reply! I will check with AI on Monday about it and post an update when I learn more from them

7. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I'm not sure I would trust that diagram - it seems to have been drawn by a graphic artist who has precious little engineering knowledge. For example, the filter and phase reverse boxes have their switches attatched to their inputs rather than their outputs. Similarly, when you mute a channel, you change its connection away from the feeding signal to ground so as not to leave a noise-sensitive open circuit.

If the diagram is to be believed, you should get effects in the direct out if the pre/post switch is in the post position and the FX switch is on, although there's a drawing error in that bus route as well.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed