1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Connecting an EQ to a microphone pre-amp.

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by mistercrayle, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mistercrayle

mistercrayle Active Member

I have an 8in/8out audio interface. I'm planning on buying a 2 channel microphone pre-amp to spice up 2 channels on the interface. I wanna hook up an equalizer to the pre-amp so it's not just a flat signal. I'd have to go OUT of pre-amp to audio interface IN to activate pre-amp. Do I connect the OUT of the EQ and connect it to the IN of the pre-amp on the back?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Unless this is for live performance I wouldn't muddy things with an eq-especially if it's a cheap eq. For recording purposes a flat signal is exactly what you want. If you need a mic with a little curve in it-and most already have this-then change your vocal mic. Also, most eq plugins are far superior to cheap to middlin' gear available on the market. IMHO YMMV

3. mistercrayle

Okay, but how do I hook it up?

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Gozouta to gozinta. Gozouta to gozinta.

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

If you must do it this way, take the output of the pre-amp into the input of the equalizer, then the output of the equalizer into line inputs on the interface.

It's not a recommended set-up, as Jack indicated, since once you have applied the EQ it's not easy to cancel it in the DAW and apply a different set.

6. mistercrayle

Thanks, as you may think i'm trying to capture a clean, flat signal - i'm not.
    This is for a cartoon

7. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Can't think why you would want all that real gear. Why don't you just draw the waveforms you need?

8. mistercrayle

Is that said with a heavy british accent?