1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Console as in-line mixer only

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Demigoggle, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Demigoggle

Demigoggle Guest

Like most of us here I have been building my gear arsinal for some time. I now have a really fine collection of mics, preamps, compressors, equalization, and a/d/a conversion. So the time has come to get rid of the weakest link in the chain, that wink leak being the mixing console. I use a 32 tape input Soundcraft now, and what I was wondering was if I get something like a Trident 80 for a line mixer, will it be as much of a significant difference as between using a cheap front end and then hearing the good gear? Going from the Soundcraft Preamp and a Audio Technica to a Neve and a U67 was a serious ear opener, and the difference was probably 400% better minimum. I think the weak point of the Soundcraft is its summing buses, so I am hoping a Trident will be that much better for $30K +. Any other serious advantages of the Trident besides EQ?

--Mark

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

If you just want summing, maybe a Speck Xtramix line mixer or two, and their 16 channel 3 band semi-parametric eq if you need the eq. The stuff is supposed to be solid in sound and construction (enough so that Fletcher didn't impale it), the main hang is it seems expensive for what it is and it isn't the console ergonomics anyone except a keyboard player is used to. I remember noise that Vince might wheel out something more like a normal console than a keyboard mixer, but who knows if or when.

Bear

3. anonymous

anonymous Guests

If you just neeed a good sounding, flexible, line in mixer for under $7k...try the Speck [it's about half that]...if you want one for more than $7k, check out the Manley 16x 2...it's pretty awesome.

While the Speck may not be the Manley sound and feature wise [the Speck has more features, the sound part you'll have to decide on your own], it is without the best 'bang for the buck' in 'line in only' mixers.
    The little fucker sounds amazing.

4. Demigoggle

Demigoggle Guest

The only thing though is I was hoping for something in a traditional format configuration. I don't think I can handle looking at a rack based mixer no matter what the quality. And it does matter to me that it is used just for automatic depreciation purposes and more value for my dollar. I have heard good things about the Neotek line. Has anyone had any experience with the II series, Elan, or Elite?

--Mark

5. I'm actually in the same market but i probably won't be buying for awhile, does anyone know of any big name (api, neve, amek, etc...) 32 channel meats and potatoes(ie. no computer flying fader stuff) line in consoles?