1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Control Surfaces

Discussion in 'Consols & Control Surfaces' started by IronGuillotine, Oct 23, 2006.

1. I'm looking to improve my mixing environment by purchasing a control surface (or maybe a mixer) that will interface with my sequencing software (Cubase & Ableton Live) in such a way that I’d be able control track levels, panning, muting/soling, and so forth from the hardware instead of using only the keyboard and mouse. I know some mixers are able to do this, but I’ve also heard that control surfaces are specifically designed for this sort of thing, so that’s what I’m leaning toward. Honestly, I don’t know the pro/cons of either option, since I’m self taught with only about a year of experience. I’d really appreciate any insight you folks can give.

I don’t really think that I need all the extra inputs/outputs and things that a mixer would offer since I can do what I need through my audio interface (M-Audio FireWire Solo). That's simple enough and works great for my needs.

I’d like to have at least 8 faders to work with and to keep the price range under $350. Extra programmable buttons and things would be nice, but isn’t absolutely needed.

So far I'm considering these two...

Behringer BCF2000 MIDI Controller

Evolution UC33e MIDI Control Surface

Any suggestions or advice you folks could give on what kind of things I should be looking for, or particular products would be most helpful. Thanks people!
  2. mud5150

mud5150 Guest

I've got the bcf200 and I'm very happy with it. Although I don't use cubase. That other controller as far as I can tell doesn't have motorized faders so that makes bank switching impossible. That would limit you to only controlling 8 channels were with the bcf you could control and endless amount of channels.