1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

controller for protools LE??

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by zzzounds, May 6, 2007.

1. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

hi
    going to buy a digi 002 rack and want to get a controller for it (command8 is way to expensive!!). any hint on what to check?
    thanks
    §

2. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Why buy the rack version? Buy the 002 or the new 003. Problem solved.

3. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

I concur. You'd spend less on a 003 Factory than a 003 Rack and Command 8.

4. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

that's true people, but i don't have enough money to buy the 003 factory...
    i can buy the 002 rack quite cheap now, would just like to have a controller with it!
    if you know about any, please let me know...
    thanks
    §

5. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Buy the 002 then. There are plenty to be had for cheap. Look around.

6. obscure44

obscure44 Guest

I understand your thoughts, the 002R can be had on the cheap now. When I get to mixing in this project, I'll probably pick up a used CMLabs product on eBay- http://www.cmlabs.net/.

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

I think you're missing the fact that if you eliminate the "R" from that 002 you get a Digi 002 with controller and all. Why does it have to be a rack unit?

8. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

the reason for being a rack unit id its price... i can get it damn cheap right now, while the 002 (with controller) still costs around 200€... :(
    thanks for the hint of motor mate! it seems hard to get it in europe, but i'm trying to get some more infos. if anyone nows anything else that will help me, please let me know!
    thanx
    §

9. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

You really have no options, because PT will only be controlled by other controllers via HUI, and by the time you buy a controller, you are going to be spending what a 002 costs, with less versatility/function.

10. Dosser

Dosser Active Member

You could look for a used Mackie Control Universal. It does HUI emulation and works with Protools via some type of MIDI interface (like a Midisport). It would probably cost about half of what a new Command8 costs.

Otherwise, you could get a smaller, cheaper solution with a Presonus Faderport or a Fontier Designs Alphatrack.

11. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Do you have a lot of experience using a controller based system? I was convinced I needed a controller for my first DAW, someone suggested that I buy the rack and try mixing in the box. I've gotten used to using automation and being forced to think out the mix structure rather than feeling my way along with faders. Even if I add a control surface some day (and I don't really feel a need to right now) I think that going with the rack alone has helped me.

12. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

that's a good point... you made me think about it! let's see... thanks :)
    §