1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Controlling Stereo Width on Stereo Micing

Discussion in 'Recording' started by yodermr, Jan 31, 2004.

1. yodermr

yodermr Guest

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on controlling the stereo image when recording drums with minimal mics.

I have a pair of Rode NT5 (Recorderman configuration) for overheads, SM57 on the top of the snare and a D112 on the kick.

Everything sounds great except that the snare wire sound is picked up more by the overheads than the snare mic. This leaves me with a strange stereo image of a mono snare drum but stereo snare wire.

Am I stuck with putting a bottom mic on the snare to get the wire back in the center of the mix?

2. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    It sounds like your OH image is too wide. This results in a hole in your center. Play with the position/angle of the OH mics. Wear headphones while you make adjustments. This will allow you to hear the adjustments in 'real time' saving a lot of trips back and forthy between the control room and the mics. You should after adjustment have the snare in the center.