1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Converter recommendations

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by liquidstudios, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. can anyone recommend either individual AD and DA converters that are of the big names (lynx, mytek, lucid, lavry, genex, DAD, DCS, prism, benchmark) that are of 192kHz and somewhat cheaper price range (not 3 grand a piece.) either that or mainly can someone tell me an A/D/A converter that is one of those brands and can do simultaneous A/D and D/A conversion???

ive checked out an RME AI2 as well, i ifavour mytek, but whatever just tell me what you think

2. Scoobie

Scoobie Active Member

Hello liquidstudio.......

From what i've been checking into is the Lynx offerings. Im's using RME products and like them , but i'm using what i can afford at the time.

I have some friends that swear by Lynx. I know there is a hell of a lot better , but like you said........3 grand a piece. You can get into some big money with converters.

Have fun shopping.....

Peace.....Scoobie

3. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

Get Mytek!

4. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

With he Mytek STEREO converter you can start by buying ONLY the A/D unit and later, add the D/A unit when you have the cash/need for it. They are 1/2 U space so, they fill fit side by side.

I have Apogee PSX-100 SE and Lavry Blue and a friend brought his newly acquired Mytek A/D converter over to my studio. We recorded a custom made classical guitar, some alto ^ soprano sax, electric bass, ac. steel & electric guitar and some drums & percussion.

While there is subjective taste at play (in every comparison tests) I have to say that the Mytek (the CHEAPEST of the three!) offered a somewhat cleaner, more open sound than the Apogee PSX-100 SE (which was slightly mid-rich compared to the other two). SHaker patterns were well defined on the Mytek and the high hend is very clean and focused. The basses were more open on the Mytek than the Apogee and you could hear more space between notes/drum hits. Guitar chords sounded much more defined and you could hear every note int he chord clearly.

We were both very, very surprised considering the difference in costs among the three units.

While all three units are excellent (and while some tracks will require one sound over another) I think the Mytek is a KEEPER, even if you buy a Lavry later, or whatever else you may buy.

5. tight yeah dude thats exactly what i wanted to hear. mytek looks pretty cool. how much is it for the 'stereo 192ADC?'

6. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

$1255 at Atlas

7. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

Look for 'older'and/or demo models as well. If you loo around you can find one for about 800-900 bucks.

8. Kiskadee

Kiskadee Guest

Does anyone know how the Mytek would compare to the integrated AD/DA converters in a Motu 24i/o?

9. my immediate guess would be; absolutely no comparison.

10. JamesG

JamesG Guest

sorry to side track the thread but how do the stock motu conveters compare to higher end converters? what about witht he black lion audio mods? I'm looking at the 896 or a 24 I/O

11. Groff

Groff Active Member

I have Apogee Rosetta 200. I'm not impressed much. My friend also has R 200. In comparison test we have found significant differences between both devices and channels too and for my opinion high level of dc offset.

I think the Lavry is the best way to go for the money.

Lynx and RME are higher rated than Motu.

12. yeah but whether you believe it or not, the 192kHz thing comes into factor. i was thinking about using a mytek on the front end for A/D conversion the 192ADC. then for the D/A conversion use a lavry or DAD probably lavry. isn't it less common to use 192kHz during D/A conversion anyways, given that you believe it over what lavry himself says?

13. Groff

Groff Active Member

With very very good converters and mixing ITB I don't see the reason why to go with higher SR than 88.2. Even the 44.1 should be fine with good ADDA design. OTB could be somewhat different story but cost fortune. Imagine SSL and 48 channels of high class D/A!

There’s a lot about pro et contra on higher SR and one comes pretty obvious – using higher SR is less important with good adda design ($).

my 2c

14. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

My advice - save your money.

Just 1 week ago, you hadn't even heard of these brands of converters and now you're talking about dropping between $5 and $10 K on them? (Yup - $10K for the DADs). If you hadn't heard of them, I'm fairly certain you haven't heard them. Personally, I don't like the DADs, but the difference is, I've heard them.

Get a MOTU and be happy.

J.

15. yeah you're right just a week ago i didn't know much about them. i wasn't talking about dropping 5-10k on a DAD, i said mytek 192ADC, which someone said is 1300, then a lavry black da10, which is 1200?

but how would you compare a motu to a mytek or lavry?

16. Scoobie

Scoobie Active Member

Without the right listening enviroment(well treated room) . Great monitor's you probbly wouldn't hear the differents in the conversion anyway....... :!:

Spend your money eleswhere......

Peace.............Scoobie

17. as far as pyschoacoustics are concerned, sure technically a lot of people will tell you that 20-20 is the only sensibilty, and solid state is better than tube, and digital is better than analog, neo is better than alnico. these classic methods of audio production are just plain cases of ingenuity and bright innovation.

so how many of you people think that i won't be able to sense much of a difference between built in converters on an M-AUDIO against a mytek or lavry?

18. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

In an A/B comparison, I think anyone could hear the difference. If you went out and bought the MOTU I doubt that you would be unsatisfied unless of course you've had experience with higher end converters in which case, yes, you would probably know the difference. If you're room is poorly treated, it won't matter how good your converters are, you won't be able to take advantage of them. I think that's what Scoobie is getting at. In other words, Pirellis won't make a Pinto go any faster.

19. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

It doesn't have much to do with psychoacoustics - many of these statements are simply wrong and those that would make them are guilty of gross over-generalizations.

As is true with most everything in life, everything has its advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on how those work or don't work for you at the moment.

Well, you know my answer to that. Unless you have a VERY well treated room, a very nice amp and monitors and something better than Hosa cables...no, you won't hear a difference. The funny thing is, neither will most if not all of your clients.

AD Conversion is just a tool in the whole mix. If everything else isn't quite perfect, the conversion won't make a difference. Many great records have been made on less than ideal converters (like those built into an ADAT machine or DAT recorder, etc.)

My litmus test for when I need to upgrade my converters comes when I get my mix EXACTLY where I want it, but I can't get that last 1% out of it and new converters would do the trick.

I haven't ever reached that point yet, so I'm not too worried.

J.

20. im not sure but cucco i think it was you who said "for the guy who is listening to my work on his hi fi audio system, i might as well produce the recording that will satisfy him" or was it someone else.

your statements are accurate, but you are basically telling me then that the average listeners with sound setups won't have a fuller more headroom kind of recording after going through a nice 192 converter?

either that or they would have to listen to record on album?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.