1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

COOLEDIT PROBLEMS... please help!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ranede, Jul 31, 2004.

1. ranede

ranede Guest

i have a new computer, and so this has arisen many new problems to me that i have not encountered with my last few computers.

teh first problem is: when i press record, teh INSTRUMENTAL is recorded along with my vocals??? why???

this also happened last night when i played a song in winamp by accident while recording, and it recorded the song playing! i tried to recreate this problem but it didnt happen anymore.

yet the first problem, with the instrumental playing in multitrack, STILL persists..

. note, i do have headphones on, and i thought that maybe they were too loud. but i placed them far away and the instrumental still recorded.

secondly: when i record, and just idle the mic, without saying anything, the wavelenghts seem to be at about -20 dB, which is horrible. they used to be at a decent -70 to -80 range.

why??

and lastly, again, when i record and idle my mic, the wavelenghts appear BELOW teh center line. this has never happened before. an individual suggested that perhaps my MIC BOOST option was on, but i checked it plenty of times and i can confidently say it is NOT on.

well.. thanks for the help in advance.

hope i can get these problems solved.

2. beachhunt

beachhunt Guest

As far as the instrumental re-recording while doing the second track, I would guess your soundcard recording settings need changing. Go to the "volume control" program (usually by double-clicking the Speaker icon near the clock), then go to Options -> Properties, select Recording, and hit OK. Different sound cards sometimes have different names for things, but you want your Microphone to be selected. You might see a checkbox under "Wave Out Mix" or "What U Hear" or something similar, depending on what sound card you have, and that would be why winamp or your instrumental would get recorded over to a new track.

I'm not sure why your mic level would jump, but fixing that other problem might help... Good luck with that.

The wavelength appearing off-center is a DC offset problem, which might be fixed at the source by rearranging or replacing your cables, but it can also be fixed after recording, inside your wave editor. I don't know what program you're using, but look under the process/effects menus for something like "DC Offset". If your software doesn't have a built-in plugin for it (and if you can't find a free one online somewhere), try running the track through a 20Hz highpass filter. If that's not an option either, let me know and I'll make a VST plugin that should fix it.

HB