1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Copyright issue lyrics taken from lectures

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by gorchie, Dec 17, 2006.

1. gorchie

gorchie Guest

I have songs with lyrics from a certain contemporary lecturer as some of my lyrics. Just random sentences exactly as she said them. What are the copywright issues involved here? What if the lyrics to a song were taken from a lecture by only maybe 5 words said in a row and the sentences taken from various parts of total lecture.

2. Croakus

Croakus Active Member

Since no one else has touched this one, I'll give it a go. I'm not even remotely a lawyer, just reading books about copyright law.

Technically, the lecture is copyright to that person the minute they create it. If it's published (I assume it is), than they will have no trouble proving that you copied their material in court (that you had access to the work).

I’d suggest that you talk to a Copyright attorney about it. If you think the song will actually get famous enough to be noticed it will be well worth the investment. If nothing else, a brief document from the lecturer giving you permission to use these selected lines for performance, recording, and distribution would be wise. Once again, a lawyer needs to draw that up for you.