1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Copyright methods for audio files.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Dozer, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Dozer

Dozer Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Home Page:
    I am posting this here because of the methods described below used for protection, which entails modification of actual audio using tones.

I'm sure we are all familiar with copyright rules, though I see nothing wrong with people doing remixes. As long as you are not selling them I guess.
    But we are familiar with the rules none the less. Just stating the obvious, because "Captain Obvious" may join the thread with a post like
    "well, OMG, no one should be using copyrighted material for their songs anyway, its against the law..."

Alot of people are having issues with websites, (myspace, soundcloud) and uploading their content.
    Seems maybe they did not check all of the options in their .mp3 encoder and left the "set copyright bit" checked or something. Some are saying they did not have the "set copyright" bit checked, but are using audio samples for remixes, or using the original instrumental and acapellas, to add their vocals to the remix for a feature in the song.
    Also say that when checking the audio files with mp3 tag/flag programs(Mp3 Tag Studio, Others), that the "copyright and private" flags are set to "no". Even right clicking the file and going to "details", under "protected" it says no.
    I found this intriguing, and did some searching and found this posted in another forum.
    Anyone know of this type of copy protection, or other methods that can be implemented, for protection?

Post reads:

Sorry for being a bit lengthy here Bob, but I think it's important.
    My band had the same thing happen to them when we uploaded a few of the songs off our newly recorded album. One of the parody songs used a backing track from another artist, and this prompted the infamous myspace copyright message and revoked our ability to add any more songs. We saw the "Copyright Education Program" link at that point, and went through it as instructed. But nothing changed. We still can't upload songs. We even contacted Myspace Customer Support and explained the situation, but they never responded, just as Bob predicted above.
    Now here's the interesting part. We sat in the studio with a bunch of audiophiles thinking about how this myspace filter might work. It was obviously not a manual process; myspace displayed this message in a manner of seconds. We ruled out mp3 or other tagging because the original mp3 was imported into ProTools and those tags disappear. We also made sure that there couldn't have been any digital encoding in the backing track that got transferred over. This left us with one conclusion: that the filter signal was actually added as analog encoding. This means a series of tones that are not audible would have to be added to the song and then used as a unique identifier for it.
    So to test our theory we used a freeware audio editor to speed up the song by a mere 1%, which would increase the pitch of the whole song, including any inaudible tones. We created a new myspace music profile and tried to upload this version of the song. TA-DA! The filter no longer recognized the tones as copyrighted material and successfully uploaded the song with no issues to date.
    Now, I also don't condone posting commercially available songs online, but myspace has definitely sacrificed the usability of their product and made a lot of users unhappy. And those users are the ones generating revenue for myspace through advertising impressions and click-throughs. So, I say spread the word, and hopefully myspace will handle the situation more professionally next time.
  2. Dozer

Dozer Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    Home Page:
    Not had much time to search around to find the methods that are being used to copyright audio files....

and more current...

come on no one knows of this stuff??