1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Copyrights on songs

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by vhollund, Jul 30, 2004.

1. vhollund

vhollund Guest

I have a friend that I write songs together with.
    Actually she writes the melody and text and then it becomesa song by adding harmonics/Rythm and structure.

All this is somthing I do because we want to make a group together and I arrange the songs to.

The Girl I work with , I have tried to encourage to make some melody , saying just start with an emotion and stay faithfull to it.
    And she, though beeing a beginner in writing, has made some melodys with text. Pretty well i say , not all of it is very original offcourse , but some of it is quite ok.

Myself I have played music proffesionally and been a musician for 20 years, and I have developed very good skills in songwriting so that what was a kindof triviel melody gets value through the harmonical/rythmical/structural that I add to the songs.

This is somthing we do together and the songs actually first really comes to life after we both have gone over them.

The thing is that want to get clear ,how we should share the copyrigths.

As I work for free with no contracts or garanties it will be a better feeling for me if I have a good share on the Copyrigths.

How ambigue is the juridic about pourcentage that comes to my rigth.
    If I take 50% for creating Strukture/Sofisticated Hamony/arrangement on a melody, Is that justifiable?

Its things like this that has to be in order before everybody thinks they are The Creater of the world, and to keep a good positive creative relationship on what matters.

Thanks!

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Your partner writes the lyrics (words)? And your partner writes the melody? As far as I am concerned .. she is the only one who has any rights to the songs under those conditions. Figuring out what chords fit or arranging is not part of the songwriting, it is part of the arraingment.

3. vhollund

vhollund Guest

Kurt-
    Well alot of people use the rule that Harmony created Under or before the creation of the melody , is considered CoComposing.

Some makes agreements where the arranger gets more than 15 procent also, as part of a deal.

4. vhollund

vhollund Guest

I mean why should I work as arranger if im not payed or atleast can think of it as investment.
    Does anyone have the experience with this kinda thing?

5. shortyprs2

shortyprs2 Guest

I guess I'd look at it a little differently. Does the girl consider what she's done a complete song? In other words, are you embelishing something she views as complete, or are you helping her to complete something. I worked a couple years with a partner. I added harmony and lead guitar to his stuff. I never viewed it as co-writing his stuff. No matter how rough it was, he viewed what he brought as a complete song.

So, begin each song with the question, "Do you see this as a completed song, or are you asking me to help write it?" If she doesn't thinks its complete, copywrite it as co-written. If she says its complete, either back away or live with it dude!

6. vhollund

vhollund Guest

It sounds reasonable what you are saying.

An arranger can typically get 16.6 percent on the copyrigth, , but varies alittle from country to country, and he doesnt necesaryly get credited on the cover.

Ofcourse if someone else feels inspired to share his point of view on this then please do fell free.