1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Correct Way Of Recording Vocals?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by JX21, Nov 19, 2009.

1. JX21

JX21 Guest

I tend to record 3 vocals track for every piece of the song like hook, verse ect.. Then I pan one to the left, one to the right and leave one vocal in the center. I add the same eq, reverb and delay to all of them.
    I heard you can record with only one vocal but if so how do u get it to sound nice and warm like if I used 3 vocals.

Thank You For Your Time

2. natural

natural Active Member

What exactly did you hear?
    Did you hear that a single vocal can sound as thick and warm as a 3 vocal stack?

Is there an audio example?

I would say that a single vocal done in the proper environment with a quality mic can sound as good as a stacked vocal done under less than ideal conditions.

3. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

+1

4. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Yes. This is what can happen.

A great mic. A great chain and a room with only the reflections and the liveliness you want as well as a talented vocalist with a great voice and theres the magic.

5. JX21

JX21 Guest

Well thank you for your replies. I will leave my foolish ways of recording and try this way lol thank u

6. natural

natural Active Member

Well, to elaborate more - I like the sound of a stacked vocal where there's a dense mix of other instruments. And one could argue that a quality voc done as mentioned above could sound very nice (even better) in a stacked voc mix.
    And if not recorded in an ideal setting, then a stacked voc could possibly get you a better end result as well.
    But all things being equal, A single vocal will generally sound smaller or thinner than a stacked vocal.
    And of course it depends on the style of music.