1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

CPU Error

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Halifaxsoundguy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Halifaxsoundguy

Halifaxsoundguy Active Member

I keep getting a CPU overload error in Pro-Tools when I bounce. My session is 1 stereo track with no plugins. A stereo master with Maxim and dither on it. 24/48k. Low latency is off. When I bounce, I set the conversion quality to low. The HW Buffer size is 1024 samples, 90% CPU usage and 2 processor for the RTAS processor. My Computer info is Below. Protools is the only program running. What the F***?? Ideas??

2. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Are you on a Mac?

I recognize these problems and they occur whenever I try something in ProTools on my MacBook. When recording I cannot get a decent latency without these overloads. HW buffer and CPU usage limit, 2 processors all of that doesn't seem to matter much.

Asusming you are on a Mac, Did you try the simple tweaks?
    1. Turn off software update
    2. Turn off energy saver
    3. Disable spotlight indexing
    4. Disable spotlight shortcuts
    5. Disable dashboard shortcuts

3. Music_Junky

Music_Junky Active Member

This is very strange. You should be able to do this surfing the web and waching a video on your machine.

Try to make another session and import session data from your current session and see if its the same.

4. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

I don't know about the OP but I tried that. It doesn't seem to matter. It also seems to get worse over time.

5. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

Except for turning off sleep modes, there shoud be no need to disable anything else.

How much RAM do you have? Of course you ARE recording to a drive other than your system drive.

Because of the low track count of PTLE it should not be overloading resouses in that manner.

I use Logic Pro with sessions of 48+ tracks, never seen the cpu meters go above 30%.

8)

6. Halifaxsoundguy

i was able to bounce when i brought the session into a new file 16/44k. I used audio suite instead of plugins. Still boggled. I tried putting my mac hard drive on the do not search area of spotlight but it would not go. WTF? also to note that I accidently deleted Grabber many moons ago, I'm not sure what that i'll cause? I've never seen the cpu usage in protools get to 30%, but yet theres a CPU overload.

7. gdoubleyou

Still sounds strange, if you have added 3rd party RAM try reseating it.

Also run the hardware test disk that came with your machine.

8)

8. Halifaxsoundguy

this is bugging me out. It doesn't make any sense.

9. Halifaxsoundguy

So this is a new problem and is happening globally on every other song of mine. I'm so frustrated I could cry. I have just cleaned out all the excess programs on my mac and the problem still exists. istat shows me using only 35% of memory and CPU is fine. GRRRRRR> Please help as digidesign prolly won't care to help.

10. Doomith

Doomith Guest

Reinstall protools ?

11. Halifaxsoundguy

I'm afraid to do that. I don't know why. I remember the first time I put it on and I had to verify everything and I don't want to go through that again.

12. JensenBohren

JensenBohren Guest

This happened to me; it turns out that the RAM the company installed was mismatched. You might need to take it to a qualified Mac repair shop, expecially if it's under warrenty.

13. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Mismatched RAM causing a CPU error? Can you elaborate?

14. gdoubleyou

If you run the hardware test disk it will detect and report any specific hardware problem. Do that First then you will know.

There is no need to erase apps of your HD OSX apps do not create conflicts with one another.

Trash your PTLE preferences and repair permissions.

I also suspect BAD or failing RAM.

8)

15. BRH

BRH Active Member

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=23611

Set your DAE at the default level.

Go here and ask:

http://duc.digidesign.com/

16. Halifaxsoundguy

everything except pro-tools runs great. I'm still a little worried about re-installing PT. Seems risky, is it?

17. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Is this any different than Apple/about this mac/more info? Also, I got 2 CDs with the MacBook. Which one is the test disk?

18. gdoubleyou

Yes it actually exercises certain hardware functions.

Depends on your specific machine what disk it's on.

On the install disk that came with my Mini the fist disk has labeling that says to depress the "D" key while booting.

:cool: 8)

19. Halifaxsoundguy

When is someone going to answer my question about reinstalling pro-tools?

20. gdoubleyou

I've never had to reinstall any apps because of glitch in over a decade, that's more of a windows approach. Usually just trash the preferences and restart the app fixes most problems.

If I was going to do a re-install I would start with a clean install of the OS first.

I only do clean Install when a new major release of OSX occurs, then it's to an external drive for testing before I eventually move over to it full time.

8)