1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

CPU vs. Digital Recorder

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Pujee, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Pujee

Pujee Guest

I have been reasearching for about 2 months now and after pretty much deciding on a Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac (I would add about a gig of ram), an Mbox w/ProTools, and probably Reason, someone has turned me onto the idea of just getting a nice digital recorder instead.

I don't have a band as of now, just me and my guitars. This makes percussion sort of an issue, because I don't have someone to actually play drums (or anything for that matter), but if I had Reason or a drum program, I could add some nice backing to my tunes.

What are your thoughts/concerns? What brands or models of digital recorders would you recommend? I have been checking some like the Roland VS2000CD 18-Track Digital Studio out. Thanks so much.

2. ShellTones

ShellTones Guest

I believe computers are superior: more power, more options, and more versatility. Some folks like the all-in-one-units, though. I don't.

3. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

get the computer- you'll be much happier in the end

4. frob

frob Well-Known Member

a computer will really do you better, though i do a have a question. what if any computer knowlage or experiance do you have?

5. Pujee

Pujee Guest

I have lots of computer experience. In respects to recording programs I guess I don't have that much...but I know what I am doing for the most part. More than the average person, less than someone who works on computers as a living.

6. maintiger

once you get your chops in a recording program you'll be amazed of all the great things you can do... I had a roland box back in the nineties, the vs880 and was never happy with it- struggling over a little display and the sound was kinda squashed. Im sure those things are better now but there is nothing like a daw!

7. Motske

Motske Guest

I'm an average person :(

8. maintiger

what does average mean? Me, I refused to be pinned down or catalogue- anyway, we are music people and as far as Im concerned, we are the gnat's ass!

9. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

i, personally, dont know how people made music before pro tools.

10. maintiger

we used to hit record, just like we do now...

11. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

im speaking as an analog lover myself. just making "high-humor" of the common practice once hitting record...then using a razor blade.....white markers........scotch tape...........yikes!

12. maintiger

daw's have certainly made it easier. I love it!

13. shezan

shezan Guest

Computers....the Options...man you could'nt ask for more... but i prefer you don't go for Digidesign....

14. axel

axel Guest

go for g5 and additional HD for audio!!! digi, wouldn't be my choice either, specially not their hardware.

15. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i would recomend what i use
    custom made P4 PC
    delta 1010
    cubace SX

16. maintiger

I have a G4 with Digital performer with 3 extra 160 GB drives for audio and I have no complaints- well, I'll qualify that- now that am using a lotta VI's I am thinking of going to a G5 as the VIs eat up a lotta processor power- other than that i can do 30+ tracks with plug ins before i have to start bouncing tracks down to disk

17. shezan

shezan Guest

i m using Digi002...but i m not happy at all...all i m using is Cubase SX and vsts.... its the best combination... as far as pro tools the specially designed software for digidesign never made me happy.... i watched the demo dvd in which they showed all their hardwares and people by showing how excited the engineers of analog world were to see the editing facilities of pro toolsss...... i guess there are better options available then pro tools.... I may be a smaller part of this industry cuz i m just on the road towads mainstream...but can anyone tell me an approximate guess why pro tools is international standard...

18. shezan

shezan Guest

my pc is equiped with over 300GB hard drive space..3 gb ram 3.2ghz...
    i went for like around 60 tracks with lots of plugins and fx....you could say that i was trying to kill the machiene..but it resisted still researving around 35% resources... is'nt that awsome...i can use like alot of vsts at the same time...but in pro tools...boy it takes alot of system resources....

19. frob

frob Well-Known Member

pro tools in the music industry is a myth like;
    mac in the photo industry

at one time they where the cats meow; however i dont think that time is now.

however if you get a hudge protool controle and two big cinima displays you will probably be able to get more clients, now return clients are the result of the quality you get out of that monstrosity.

remember also that the resone protools works well with thouse hudge studios and PT le suck is all that the mac that is runnin proTools is running is the mac OS, ProTools all plugins and software is handeld in there custom hardware, all of thouse expencive dsp cards.

all that said my pc has yet to be tapped ive run 50+ tracks some stedio some mono some midi, all with effects waves trueverb and comrestion and more and not a dent.

dont focus on hardware so mutch if you can pay you can build something that can out preform you. look at the software and deside, then buy computer to suit the software

20. maintiger

yeah, theres no sense going protools unless you got the budget to go tdm- like 20 K+
    Other than that, theres a lotta daws that kick pt le's butt