1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Crackling, Vibrato, and "Underwater" Sounds When R

Discussion in 'Recording' started by patriick02, May 12, 2009.

1. patriick02

patriick02 Guest

Hi,

I am a bit of noob when it comes to recording, but I am very confused by my issue...

I am trying to record my acoustic guitar using Music Creator 5 and a SM57 mic.

I tested the mic levels and it does not appear they are clipping, although they sometimes look a little low. I tried different buffer values and bit rates, but neither solved my problem.

Everything I record plays back sounding choppy, distorted, and like I am under water.

I have checked my drivers and am not having any trouble playing things back in other programs (i.e. iTunes). Stranger still is that if I talk into the mic, as opposed to recording my guitar, it sounds normal when I play it back, but there is some crackling.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

My laptop specs are:

HP G60T-200CTO Pavillion Notebook
    Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 @ 2.13GHz
    L1 2x 32kB
    L2 Cache : 3MB
    Mainboard : Wistron 3617
    4GB DDR2 800Mhz Memory

Audio Device : HP (ICH9) HD Audio Controller
    Audio Codec : Conexant Systems High Definition Audio

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

You're plugging a dynamic mic (low output) into an onboard soundcard.
    This will never work.

Onboard soundcards are for playback, gaming and Skype-esque headsets.

3. patriick02

patriick02 Guest

Ohhh... That kinda stinks... So the only solution is to get a better sound card?

4. Codemonkey

No.

You need a preamp.
    These can be bought standalone so you plug them into your existing soundcard - but this is like buying a Humvee with bike tyres.

The ideal solution is to buy an interface which has a preamp on it and that removes your soundcard from the equation.

What interface to get?
    Try here and enter "interface" and your budget. You ain't the first to ask this question.

5. patriick02

patriick02 Guest

Ohhh :) Well thank you for that info! I had no idea! Thanks for the help!!!

6. Codemonkey

No problem...neither did I when I started out 2 years ago.