1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Crazy Joe

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by bouldersound, Jun 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

For your enjoyment:

(dead link)

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Why did you do that to me ! How sweet indeed. :love:

Where is the acoustic treatment ? Cinder block control room and no monitors. Cool site never the less .

3. Josh Conley

Josh Conley Active Member

my ears hurt looking at those walls.

4. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

"I avoid EQ and other "audio shenanigans" LOL.

Whatever works for ya. Let yer freak flag fly!

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

"I avoid EQ and other "audio shenanigans"

Looks like they missed the memo on MEQ-5's and 1A3's .

6. bouldersound

I just could not stop myself.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

:D

8. bouldersound

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I haven't listened to any of his stuff yet so I won't comment on his process.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Cool, this is a friend of yours, Boulder? That was my next comment. I would love to hear some audio from him.

10. bouldersound

I don't know him. I just saw the link on another site and figured it would be of interest here.

11. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Oh, don't get me wrong... I wasn't commenting one way or the other. If his process works for him then that's really all that matters.
    I just liked his quote. ;)

Telarc Records from Cleveland was the go-to mobile recording facility for The Cleveland Orchestra for quite sometime - and they may in fact still be - and those guys didn't use any EQ whatsoever. They relied solely on various different miking arrays - Decca Trees, XY's, Blumlein, etc. - to capture the sound... and if you ever get the chance to listen to any recordings of the orchestra from the 90's forward, you'll hear just how well they did their jobs. Of course, recording at the orchestra's home base of Severance Hall probably didn't hurt, either. ;)

6998750126_72ab48c9ec_b.jpg

12. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

TYRD FYRGYSYN and the MASTERXPLODERS, That band scared me just by the picture !! :cautious:

13. bouldersound

I figured as much, which is why my response was calibrated to work either way. Though I haven't actually heard his stuff I have read positive comments on it.

14. bouldersound

Well, now I've listened. Curious to hear your (plural) opinions once you do, especially regarding the "zzzzzzz" factor.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Zero EQ is common for me in a one shot live recording of symphonies, choral and such, but for a multitrack production that was competing with the audio quality today, I would be amazed beyond words if we could produce anything competitive without the use of an EQ.

I can't wait to hear some examples though, what a thrill to pull that off I say! But, I'm thinking why would you want to limit yourself that anyway?
    I get it for some sort of purest statement like "we can do it" but, we also use vintage pultecs for those looking for a more pristine sound common in modern music ( without the zzz ! ) :)

Isn't that like saying you can run a race without water? Or, I can mix a hit song on headphones. But why would you want to limit yourself?

16. bouldersound

There are a bunch of samples on his Store page.

17. Josh Conley

Josh Conley Active Member

this could be him.
    damn those guitars are big. is that a texas thing like big belt buckles?

bigtree likes this.
  18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Okay I hear it. Very appropriate to the 50's sound. I like the side stick on http://www.crazyjoe.org/Web Sample Music Clips/Doctor 02 Clip.mp3

Smooth.
    They get it right on the tracking, balance it and call it a day. I hope this catches on. Sounds like it was tracked in a gym. Lots of those around today. Easy money, works for me! Not sure if my kids would dig it but hey, maybe its the next trend. Trends don't have to sound amazing, they just have to have that sound.

Thanks for sharing this Bolder. Awesome looking website and nothing I'd like better than seeing these guys take off.

Some similar history of this style for me:

The Stray Cats of 2014

Joe Ely

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvhkR3yoCk

(y)

19. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i would love to have a studio just like that! there's nothing there i would change except i'd get rid of the Crowns and get some Scully's or MCI's and of course i'd bring in some outboard eq's and comps. i love this guy's approach. ..... very "old school".

20. bouldersound

There's nothing about the sound I can fault except for very minor personal preference things. I don't feel like the lack of eq is a problem on the tracks I heard.