1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Creative 5.1 USB External Soundcard

Discussion in 'Recording' started by eddiedietz, Jan 16, 2010.

1. eddiedietz

eddiedietz Guest

I just bought a Creative 5.1 USB External Soundcard to get surround sound from my computer to my surround system. I noticed that the external soundcard has a microphone input integrated. I was wandering if anyone knows the quality of that input? Is it an equivalent to a cheap microphone preamp or is it as bad as plugin your microphone directly to your computers mini-jack stick?

2. jg49

jg49 Distinguished Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Frozen Tundra of CT
    It is not equivalant to a cheap preamp more like plugging into the minijack.
  3. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    Those minijack mic inputs are meant for consumer-grade stereo electret mics that require "plug-in power". They aren't suitable for connecting professional microphones that normally have balanced, low-impedance outputs. That said, if you plug a decent pro-sumer stereo mic like the Sony ECM-MS957 into an SB Extigy external soundcard, you get a surprisingly good audio result, albeit with a relatively high noise floor.