1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Credit Due - Article Spinning / Marketing and Content Regurgitaters

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dvdhawk, Aug 27, 2011.

1. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

To me, it's a little unsettling for a site that discourages piracty of intellectual property (music and software) and prides itself on giving 'credit-where-credit-is-due' to let this go unchecked.

Have you noticed how every few months we here at RO are graced with a new expert on music marketing in the Music Business forum? (often with a perfectly friendly or feminine sounding handle) They usually offer vaguely reassuring posts on old threads. The helpful hints usually contain a nugget or two of generally accepted truth and/or wisdom, but usually have an oddly disjointed syntax or train of thought. It's not quite off-topic, but not exactly on-topic either. Too coherent to be a conventional spambot, but often littered with random capitalization and punctuation errors in an otherwise well-written piece. And if you've read all of their posts you'll notice odd contradictions in their other opinion(s) and changes in their writing skills.

Although much of this information is presented as professional first-hand knowledge/experiences - it is not original content written in reply to the OP's posted topic, nor is it credited to any other author(s). But with a little Googlization, you'll quickly find most of them are old content from other sites. And you'll find either the verbatim articles, (which should be credited to a variety of other authors). Or you'll find single sentences, or other fragments parsed and reassembled to almost make a point regarding the topic. I find that particularly ironic on licensing and copyright topics.

Or for example, to pick just one of many, this recent post #132 on this thread.
    (Drivel intentionally not quoted to avoid any additional cross-reference to the site from which it came.)

Can someone (preferably the posting member) please go through this line by line and elaborate on how building a 'professional' studio is a real money saver. Or, how 'pacing' saves money making equipment purchases.

Oh wait.... Perhaps you would like to reference the primary article those disjointed sentences were boosted from - written (maybe?) by a self-proclaimed "E xpert on A rticle M arketing" and what's known as "A rticle S pinning". In other words, techniques and/or software that rewords and regurgitates content to improve someone else's Search Engine Rankings for their own cash gain - or to take credit for others' writing. Swap out enough words and it's hard to say definitively who the original author might be - so I'm reluctant to mention anybody's name.

Google any one sentence from the linked How To Save Money ... thread, with quotation marks, and see where it points you. If you google the whole sloppy mess, it will be harder to track. Just search the last sentence in quotes, and you'll find the rest.

They all track back to the same article which advocates 'soundproofing' your room or basement and in their exact words, "viola! an instant recording studio for you!" Plagiarism (alleged) aside, that should still offend a number of you for a wide variety of reasons. Can any old basement be modified to do adequate voiceover work for your self-promoting online marketing video? Sure. ( FYI that is what the 'pacing' sentence refers to when read in context with the entire article - pacing your vocal delivery while recording ) Does 'soundproofing' make your basement a professional studio? Nope. So we're left to debate whether the word 'professional' includes any level of skill, knowledge, or craftsmanship - or if it only indicates money has changed hands at least one time.

Now before someone comes in to bust my chops for not credited any authors, I'd like to give the members involved a chance to clarify their position(s) and tell us what they represent and why. Until then, I've deliberately not linked or credited the pages or authors.

I understand how link mining, link-exchanges, work to improve search engine rankings. I'm not sure yet who benefits from "Article Spinning" here when there are no back-links. Do they post a link in their profile, or signature, later that helps drive traffic or improve their SEO? Does the redundant info out there in interweb land raise their legitimacy as an expert? I don't know - I'm asking.

To be clear:
    It's not that the thoughts and opinions are without merit, or uninformative, but let's be up-front about the source and the motivation behind them.

Please feel free to independently research these topics if you don't know what I'm talking about:
    Article Marketing
    Article Spinniing

Discuss....

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Good eye Dave,

I've been watching these too and baiting a few potential users to see why or if something will change or tip me off. I've wondered why there are no link pointing, especially with the recent new member that caught both our eyes. The one in question, registration profile doesn't' suggest anything troll like or spammy so far but I never noticed the signs you've picked up on in the writing style.

I've been noticing a new spam bot that is learning our registration requirements. They are onto us. Its got me quite concerned so I've been changing things more frequently this past month. Now our female user is appearing out of the blue. If its a bot, which I think may be, may find this thread and tip us off. If not, then forgive us for being careful and protective spam hounds :)
    Good for your detective work.

3. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Ack...They are spam and if nothing else they lower the signal to noise ratio of the information on the site. I say close those user accounts and consider blocking their networks (the IP address without the numbers after the last dot) if they're in China, Russia or some other place with little or no legitimate traffic.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Yup, came from India.

5. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

GAAAH...

Well, it seems I let myself get sucked in on that thread... but the truth was so convoluted that I had to point out some reality before another member went off the deep end when they found out how much of the post, I responded to, was lies.

Is it possible that they're gleaning replies for data; username, text, etc??

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

It seems that companies are paying someone to advertise them and its getting into the hands of some spambot from India, China, Singapore, Philippines who all seem to be the same person/company that uses forums. They usually register and drop a link in their signature in hope that google indexed it. They have always been obvious and I spot them before they get going but lately they are learning our lingo and keywords . Whomever it is doing this, has a very sophisticated spam ring going on.

7. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

I've seen ones that simply paste a quote from earlier in the thread.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

FYI. For a few years I've been monitoring and comparing where our traffic, and other forums like ours is coming from. Its part of my optimizing and how I take care of our community content. The majority of our traffic is from the America's, UK and other parts of Europe. Every morning and night I go through new registrations and remove these bots followed by blacklisting blocks of ip addresses coming from those countries. Most of our rivals shows their highest traffic is coming from from Asia. Those bots help their global rank but not the level of information being posted in those forums. I was told by someone of high profile I shouldn't block these countries because it would effect our rank. At this point in history, Whomever wants to be popular in those countries can have it. Nothing but BS.

I look forward to better internet transparency and tools that help the best sites rise above this all.

yup, good eye, that's a common whey they do it but now they are getting smarter and posting like this last one. The new Bots are going to be doing this now. We're going to have to start blocking countries.