1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Critique my equipment selection please

Discussion in 'Recording' started by kelly644, Sep 30, 2005.

1. kelly644

kelly644 Guest

Hi, back...

Here's the set up I'm proposing...

By selling one of my synths, my Mbox, and Aardvark DP 24/96, the whole thing should cost me about 2500-3K...

Basic idea is a set-up studio capable of recording atleast a full drum kit with the possibility additional dudes... and able to do the rest of the band after drum take.

*This is not intended to be a pro studio... rather something more capable than a typical "bed room/project" studio, where I can practice recording bands with decent quality, but cheap. And with enough mic options so that I dont do the same thing over and over*

For headphone mixes and avoidance of PC monitor latency, Pre-amp outs are sent to Furman Patchbay and Multed... One path into into PC for tracking, other path sent into individual inputs on Yamaha 10/2 for headphone mixes.

List doesnt include Mic Stands and other extras

I would like to add one Large Diaphram condenser which would cost approximatly 500 on the used market exclusively for vocals. Please make a suggestion. (Note: I'm considering a Groove Tubes GT-66)

I would also like to add a matched pair of small diaphram condensors for Hats and OverHeads with a smooth/warm or airy high-end... basically something without a sharp/painfull high-end without sounding dull. 300 used total. Please make a suggestion.

Mic wise, I'm trying to go mostly cardiod as I dont know what type of environment the set-up will be in, and I'll rarely ever use ORTF and other micing techniques using OMNI patterns.

Thanks

-------------------------

Currently owned or ordered:

* Motu 896 + Digimax LT + Furman Power Condition + Patchbay + Rack = 1400 approx

Mackie HR-824 Pair

Boston Acoustic PC audio

* Oktava MKL-2500 - 99

Sure PE-56

Various Headphones...

---------------------------

Will be buying:

Gear=======

Old Stock Nuendo 2.0 - 600

Behringer ADA8000 - 200

1x Yamaha MG10/2 - 100 (For Headphone Mixes)

Crappy Reverb (For Vocal Cue) - 150

UAD-1 Ultra PAck - 1200

Furman PB-48 Patch Bay - 130 (For multing pre outs, and future use)

==========

Mics======

3x SM57 = 267

3x E 604 mics - 280

1 x E602 mic - 130

2x AT4040 - 400

2x Kel HM-1 - 200

2. stickers

stickers Active Member

The only thing i dont like is the Behringer ADA8000. Why do you need it when you have already got the digimax LT for 8 channels of pre and the 896 with has 8 too for a total of 16?..and besides I think you only have 12-13 mics anyways.

3. kelly644

kelly644 Guest

3 Reasons:

1. On the listening sessions, I liked the way it sounded on the hats

2. I need to mult after the patchbay, but before it hits the 896

3. Most importantly, I was a dumb ass and didnt know that the 896 had an additional 8 pres on the analog in... I thought it had 2 :roll:

Perhaps I'll dump the Behringer...

Thanks, good catch :)

- kelly