1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cubase meets Digidesgn question

Discussion in 'Cubase' started by Genereaux, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Genereaux

Genereaux Active Member

Hey all, new guy here.

I have a question- Has anyone (or is it even possible) to get an MBox2 to install on a Vista (32) machine and work with Cubase Studio 4?

The reason for such a silly question is; My Presonus rig (FS 2626/Digimax FS) is at the drummers 'studio' (pronounced- house). I've had this Mbox laying around and thought it would be nice if I could still track some guitar or vox at home without deconstructing our practice space set-up.

So, anyone have any input?

sean

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I have one of those also. I have been sporadically successful in using it with other software. There is a driver provided in ASIO that certainly allows for monitoring. It's a separate driver you can also download. But I've only had sporadic success in getting it to record on different machines. Although I didn't screw with it very long. Unfortunately they seem to indicate that those drivers are loaded along with ProTools. Without ProTools is where I believe the problem was? So on the machine with ProTools, I was able to use it to record with Adobe Audition 2.0 since it supports ASIO. But as I recall, it only worked for playback with their drivers on my other laptop that does not support ProTools? So recording on that machine with the interface wasn't possible. I didn't spend any time to try and work out the problem? I actually don't believe there is a workaround? Another reason why I'm not wild about Digi design concepts & executions. I don't care if they're considered an industry standard. I look forward to the other guys answers?

Proprietary Predicaments
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Genereaux

Genereaux Active Member

KUDOS to you (applause). I share a similar view, and not just with Digidesign. I bought Cubase and Presonus almost entirely because of its compatibilty with Vista and frankly, haven't encountered much issue/regret.
    It strikes me as silly that the 'industry standard' would allow loss of sales like that simply because it won't work out its compatibility issues.

But that aside; I think you may be on track with the need for a Pro Tools 'presence' on the machine. I believe my Mbox was bundled w/PT LE, and I have long since lost THAT disc. So I attempted to find the driver online and install it (with a couple of Vista tricks I probly found in the Steinburg or Digi forums), to no avail. Cubase just couldn't recognize it in the ASIO drop down.

Oh well. If I can't make it work, no biggie. I can 'scratch' stuff just as easily through the laptops native soundcard (which Cubase DOES recognize). I guess I thought it might be nice to use the Mbox since it's just laying around gathering dust anyway.

Maybe I'll put it in my Ebay pile..........

sean