1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cubase SX/Mac components

Discussion in 'Cubase' started by RL Wall, Aug 27, 2002.

1. RL Wall

RL Wall Guest

When Steinberg ships SX for Mac my intent is to get rid of the old AHB console and patchbay and take the Dual 1.25Ghz G4 plunge.

I will be wanting to get a new AD/DA setup happening and maintain ADAT connectivity.

While snooping around on the web, I found the FRONTIER DESIGN WavePCI card/Tango 24 combo offered at a couple of places for $739. ProAudioReview likes the converters, there are no mic pres in it to have to work around, and it looks pretty much like it'll do what I need at 24 bit resolution and up to 48kHz sample rate.

Since the Mac will eat up a hefty chunk of change, necessitating economy if not outright stinginess, is there an alternative to the WavePCI/Tango 24 that I am overlooking as I heft my wallet and scratch my head?

Talking quality-bang for my limited I/O bucks here.....

Comments, suggestions, experience, warnings, caveats, and cash donations cheerfully accepted.

:cool: RW :cool:

2. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Have you compared Echo's Layla/24? It is about in the same price range you mentioned, and sounds just absolutely fantastic!

web page

Good luck!

3. RL Wall

RL Wall Guest

Whoa.

I downloaded the manual from the link you posted and if it is any indication of the whole product, it looks like a winner.

At Last !!!

A manual for morons like me!

I'm gonna check out some reviews and try to find someplace besides GC ( aka Guitar Center, or more appropriately, Garageband Central ) to a/b these.

I gotta tell you though, in order to swap from +4 to -10 and back again, you actually have to pull the Frontier unit out of the rack and pop the lid off and go inside. Maybe in a super-cool, well-though-out, all-cables-hidden kind of studio that's not a problem. That kind of studio doesn't live at my house..... The Echo system does it with software switches.

Thanks, DNA -- now I got something to compare. There's nothing I hate more than a one-track Jones.

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

You should really check out RME products. They have features that most others don't...

web page

Specifically, the MultiFace + PCI card interface.

5. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

Macaroni is correct that RME makes some *great* sounding stuff, but they are a bit pricy compared to the Layla, and imho, the Layla is just absolutely *awesome*!!! It is certainly worth checking on the RME stuff however...it never hurts to look!

6. RL Wall

RL Wall Guest

You got that right. Looking is the cheap part....

Thanx !!!

7. RL Wall

RL Wall Guest

Bought the Layla 24:

• Loved the manual
    • My old Mac S900 clone's Firewire is PCI based and iffy
    • RME looked promising but some of the issues / workarounds looked scary
    • Found the Layla 24 on the web @ $675 no tax/free shipping.

Can't wait for the slow boat to get here....