1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Cue mixer (1604vlz) broke, need help quick

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by GigaBoy, Jan 26, 2002.

1. GigaBoy

GigaBoy Guest

Session starting in a couple hours. But my monitor mixer 1604VLZpro has developed a nasty problem. It's as though there may be a cold solder or dirty connection somewhere across the mix L/R bus. The right channel goes away completely and left is very low in level. But a loud plosive sound though a mic will bring both channels back to full level. But before long (minutes) the levels disappear again. Other than "get a decent mixer" can anyone suggest where my problem may lie after experiencing similar problems. If I get through today's session, I may be borrowing Fletchers stick! But for now if it's a simple fix, I may have time to tear into it. Anybody seen this in a 1604 and have any idea what to look for? I've never had one opened up.

Thanks
    Bill
    http://www.GigaBoyAV.com

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Dry solder joint or a suspect connection.

Check all connections and then lift the lid and check connections in the mixer. Not many in a Mackie. Look for solder joints that are dull, they should be shiny and wet looking.

I hope there is not a crack in a PCB track. Hard to find and could be delecate to fix.

good luck.

3. danyotz

danyotz Guest

Really, is that the sign of a cold solder joint? I thought it might be a transistor going. I've been having the same trouble on my L/R bus.