1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

D6 on acoustic and vocals...

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by NocturnalGrad, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Well as I was recording some acoustic songs and using pro tools for the first time my mic collection is very few right now and I figured I would try the D6 over a cheap AKG dynamic. Positioning the D6 about 12" away from the sound hole at a slight angle really picked a great tone and then a SM58 positioned at about the 12, 10 fret at a slight angle facing down the neck about 10" to 14" away, which gave it a more of a dirty acoustic tone.

For the vocals I had to run the pres pretty hot and had the signer play the D6 when he was softly singing to get within 4" and then back off a few inches when he started sing. Again, the D6 brought a lot of clarity in the vocals, very pleased.

Eventually I'll have a link to that recording for you all to hear for yourself if you have not tried using a kick mic doing acoustic work.
  2. Reggie

Reggie Distinguished Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Minnesotans have them some strange notions on recording. :-?

But sure, let's hear a link. This may be the first and only time a D6 and an SM58 has been used to record acoustic guitar.