1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

David, suggestions for USB drives and so...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Alécio Costa - Brazil, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Hi David!
    I am a braziliaan musician/singer/engineer. I use Pro Tools TDM v 5.1.1, with 2 adat bridges light piped to an 02R at 44.1k/24 bits most of the time.

I intend to authorize AMP FARM and Echo farm, as you know, both ask for floppy authorization.
    I use a G4 800, with 512MB RAM, 140GB HD with a Mix system inside ( d24 + mix farm + DSP Farm II).

Which USB drives have you or any other friends being using with success? I have heard rumours of drives that do not recognize or damga authorizations and so...

Also, which versions of these plugins are compatible with mix systems? sorry I am asking you stuff that in fact belongs to the DUC..
    Nice 2003
  2. I haven't used USB drives, but I can tell you I have been through a number of ATA drives and I can tell you to stay away from IBM Deskstars- lost three months worth of work. I am using Maxtors, which are OK. Seagate is well respected. SCSI/raid is great but expensive (as I am sure you know), and I have developed a technique of using two recording drives, one as a back up, and backing up my days' work at the end of each day. I burn CDs at every important juncture.
    One of my guys is touting a swappable bay that will fit any ATA drives- yank it and throw it in the closet when it's full... we'll see. Doc.
  3. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Jun 29, 2001
    I am a western digital fan. They are whisper quiet and bullet proof. I have had 4 of them turning for over 7000 hours with nada problemo.

I experienced a USB problem with any unit that is a usb expander. Do NOT use them. They will hash the signal.

In therory the usb port can do a clean 10meg/sec and then their is super usb..but firewire is the key. IF you want to use an outboard CD burner, or drive, make sure you have as little in the b ground on, a well defraged drive and disconnect from the web. USB is fine as long as the computer pays attention only to it. Try surfing with the usb port doing a drive and you are headed down a road of upcoming frustrations at some time or another time.
  4. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Mar 19, 2002
    besides the internal factory bundles G4 800 drive, I got 2 additional Maxtor drives. They are cheap, have been functioning fine. One is 60GB and the other one 40GB. I paid almost the same I would pay for silly ADAT tapes that after 2 years would become a pain in the ass.

I also bought the VST USB drive, hope it does fine.
    Seagate Barracudas were a loss of time and lots of headache to me
    I havenot been able to find this Western Digital drives, seems everybody loves them, except my local APPLE tech support...
  5. Do you have your drives partitioned? I ran into a problem where partitioning really hurt my hard drives- inevitably I ended up writing onto certain partitions frequently and the hadr drives didn't like that. Now I am using the function in PT that allows you to limit the length of recording time. PT will then "reserve" an area of the drive to write on.
  6. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Mar 19, 2002
    No, I do not make partitions. I will do what you suggested me, some others do it either.