DAW and outboard effects

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by sricabla, Jul 11, 2002.

1. sricabla

sricabla Active Member

I have a modest setup of a Mac, Cubase 5.1, a Tascam US428 and a Virus Indigo. What would be the best way to incorporate a Joe Meek compressor,and a Lexicon reverb into my setup?
    I am not clear of getting these outboard effects
    into my present system. Would I need an additional piece of hardware?

Thanks in advance

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

That would be an affirmative...since the 428 only has stereo outs there's no way to to properly make it work..
    You need a device with more than two outs to route to external gear unless you want to take it from the master outs and then loop it back to get a really loud feedback :p .....BUT....I wouldn't suggest that! lol
    If you had four outs you could route the channel or have a send assigned to the alternate outputs and send it via the bus that way...
    Opus

3. ChrisStuckey

ChrisStuckey Guest

That is if you want to run parallel effects.

Alternate thinking:
    Use the headphone out as the send.

Or run effects inline, especially if only use 1 instrument.
    Virus>Meek>lexicon>428. :)

C'mon opus I you know that! :p

4. ChrisStuckey

ChrisStuckey Guest

5. Blutone

Blutone Guest

LOL...ChrisStuckey = RO McGuiver

He can build a DAW out of a toothpick, a paper bag and a Duracell ;)

I hope my sense of humor don't offend you, Chris. You truely do think outside the box man.

6. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Hey, Blutone - Don' worry 'bout offending da Opus, man, like I been tryin' ta offend him fer ages, man, an' like he don' get tha hint, man...

Sricabla, Opus is right (mark yer calendars, boys :=) if you're going to take any kind of advantage of outboard processors, you need to forget USB connections and get a multi-channel interface, such as a Layla, Delta, or at least a 4 channel interface such as the delta 44. There are dozens of prospects, from fairly cheap to ungodly expensive. Some play nicer with Wintel machines than others.

If you're planning on more than one outboard device I would think an 8 channel interface would make the most sense. There are models that just have line level I/O, and others with 2 or more preamps. We would need to know more about what you envision doing, then we could help narrow down the choices for you.

Hey Opus, wazzup... Steve

7. ChrisStuckey

ChrisStuckey Guest

I think he was talkin about offending me...
    I'm not offended.
    But I do use a 428 with outboard effect sometimes.
    Of course I use the 1402vlz for it, but if I didn't have the m ixer I would run them in line to the 428. :cool:

8. ChrisStuckey

ChrisStuckey Guest

How do you like the indigo, by the way?

9. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Steve....what up homey!
    Lol....offend me....ha ha ha ha ha...the road life cured me of any offense at all!
    Yup..1402 here as well...it is amazing Chris that we both have very similar gear...
    Opus