1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

DAW front end/Limited resources/advice?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Jim Klein, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Jim Klein

Jim Klein Guest

Due to the constant whining from my family for things like food, shelter, clothing, etc., I am always evaluating my gear and tend to get rid of those pieces I don't use very often in order to get new stuff. For the television and film composition that is my bread and butter, I'm pretty satisfied with my rig, but recently I started producing an album project involving standard rock instrumentation, something I haven't done since I had an analog console and multitrack.

Although my front end of Calrec pre/eq and Trakker sound good, I really lose a lot of the warmth and size when I track to Logic through the analog inputs of a MOTU 2408II. I did buy a Rosetta for better conversion, but to my ears, it didn't really sound better that the 2408 converters, so I returned it (thanks, Fletcher, for the great customer service!).

So.... I'm considering some alternatives:

1. Sell the Trakker and get a Fatso.

2. Sell my Lexicon 200 and get a Lucid A/D

3. Do both of the above

4. Sell the Trakker, the Lexicon, and my SV3700 (Cherry, with only 300 hours on it), and get a HEDD.

I just bought an HHB Burnit, and when archiving some old stuff I had done on my MS-16 and AMR console, I couldn't help but notice how much warmer and bigger things sounded back in the days of analog....... any ideas would be appreciated.

2. I would definitely start by upgrading your converters. I would sugest getting a stereo or 8 channels Lucid box from Fletcher. I once A/B'ed them against Apogee's Rosetta and PSX-100 units and ended up buying Lucid's. The converters in the 2408 are definitely playing against you. If you have a bigger budget, go for the Hedd. But for just a little cash the Lucid will improve spectacularly your sound. Also, I bought a FATSO this summer and I now consider it a mandatory piece if you record to digital. So that might be a good second step for you once you've upgraded your chain with better converters.

Good luck! :w:

3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Jim said:

"standard rock instrumentation"

&

"get a Fatso"

OH yes! Those two quotes belong side by side.....

What ground Control said....

:)