1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

DAW Notebook Sales Sites...selling a bill of goods?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by kingfrog, Mar 5, 2005.

1. kingfrog

kingfrog Active Member

I see pro audio websales selling P4M Centrino and AMD notebooks for "pro audio" recording. I have seen the desktop chipped notebooks and feel they are a better way to go. But the M chips and Dothans.......?

I use Sonar 4 on a desktop and cant imagine it can run on a notebook in any usable form.

Cakewalk does not even recommend notebook use of their software and i wonder how many newbies may not get whet they think they should as far as tracks, plug ins etc on some of the notebooks being touted as DAW.

There should be a listing of capabilities with these notebooks.

Anyone in this business know of or have tested any SW and notebooks for reliable indicators of a positive multitrack recording result ?

Im sure there are audio pros on this site who also sell equiptment that may be able to clear this up.

What will a Pent 4M Centrino @1.4 be capapble of in comparison to more horsepower.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI,
    it really boils down to what you want to do.
    if your just recording some tracks and then dumping to your main daw
    then all is good.

if you actually want to mix on it then theings change.
    especially if you do sampling.

it kinda goes like this

Centrino: fine for recording tracks a few effects forget live non-bounced sampling at low latency more than 1 at a time.
    a true Centrino will work with any interface.

AMD 64: same as above but a little lower latency a few more effects and maybe a couple live monitored samples. depending on the Firewire and cardbus its hit and miss with audio inerfaces.
    most are VIa with ia firewire and O2 cardbus or maybe ENE 1410.

real P4: better than above however you really have to wath these as the Intel 865 for laptop was discontinued. which is really sad as with dual channel ram and a real P4 it was the best laptop i have ever seen for audio. (Clevo D870)
    now they replaced it with the D900 which has a PCI-E video thus making it crap for audio.
    really have to watch the chipset with the left over P4s.

ideally you want 2 internal drives, very very few laptops offer this
    and agin its more about if you are a sample user or not

Scott
    ADK

3. kingfrog

kingfrog Active Member

Thats the clearest most consise answer to thie question. I ask because I have a friend who wants to track on a notebook at a gig site and then transfer those tracks to her Desktop.

She wants to spend about $5-700. There a a lot of branded ntebooks in that price range with Celerons and Centrinos' I was not sure how to answer her question as sales people will say anything while knowing anything about audio issues.

I actully can tack and do some mixing on a Dell 8600 Centrino 1.4 using Sonar 4 on a 5200 RPM internal and get quite a few tracks. BUT I have not used the softsynths, nor Live samples, (only recorded clips or Loops)

This has led me to believe you could record tracks on a lesser notebook...maybe a used AMD XP 1.5 .

For her I really would like to know what the min set up on note book or even desktop for Sonar perhaps.