1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

DBX RTA-M MICROPHONE

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by Imaginaryday, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

has anyone used this mic for room and as a pair for stereo recording? any thoughts are much appreciated.

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

It could be used for many sources. It won't likely give you any desired magic or mojo. It is a cheap measurement mic, it is not really meant to be used for anything else.

3. Imaginaryday

audiogaff, thanks for your input. i thought since it is flat, ii would result in "what you hear is what you get" kind of sound. i could be wrong.

4. Imaginaryday

audiogaff, thanks for your input. i thought since it is flat, it would result in "what you hear is what you get" kind of sound. i could be wrong.

5. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I've read some reviews of people using them that way. They seemed to be generally happy with the results. Most RTA mics aren't necessarily flat, they're just calibrated to the specific analyzer. They take the know deficiencies of the mic and adjust the analyzer's expectations accordingly. This one though is listed as plus or minus .5dB from 22Hz - 22kHz. If that spec is accurate, that's fairly impressive.

Is it reasonable to assume you have one, and are considering a second?

Try it on something non-critical and see what you think. You've got nothing to lose.

6. Imaginaryday

yes, spot on dvdhawk. i just got a new one for a good price and am looking to get a second. i think i'll use it at my next band rehearsal.

i appreciate your time dvdhawk.