1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dabmeister music, Aug 6, 2003.

1. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Woodbridge, Va
    Home Page:
    Just a general question to de-essing. Is this used to control sibilance only or is this something used to control the character within either gender of vocals ? :confused:
  2. realdynamix

realdynamix Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2001
    :) Hey Dab, IMO, I would say yes, like if you want a breathy vocal sound, or even a whisper, or an in your ear sound, it must be rich in highs, but still under control. You can find plenty more in this earlier group of threads.

(Dead Link Removed)

3. Scott_Fouts

Scott_Fouts Guest

Thanks for the flashback. This subject is one that i have sssstruggled with recently. I'm trying to use a parametric EQ - and RM's post put it all into perssspective. You guys are amazing.

If this gets revisited - I have a question to pose: What about finding the freq most occuring with the "s" and chain that into my compressor's side then playing with the settings?

I concur with RM that actually riding a fader within the DAW would be the Bomb. Unfortunately I'm dealing with a 3 hour live show . . .

scott sends . . .
  4. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    This should work just fine. I myself was doing a live radio braodcast last week, in a room with a Neve VR. All the dbx 902's were being used to I used the board EQ sidechained into the board compressor. I used the narrowest Q , EQ boosted all the way and dialed around till the esses came under control. I then slapped a eq after my limiter and compressor on the insert to give me back the bit of 10K I was boosting with the board EQ (on the previuos vocal...it was two bands in a row).
    Side chain EQ into Compressor = DeEsser
  5. Hack

Hack Active Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I have always tried to de-ess with the sidechain method. But I never can get it right, I boost up the hi eq with the narrowest curve it has and sweep it around. I set the comp to fastest attack and very fast release, I havent turned the release knob all the way over but real close, I've tried anywhere from 4:1 to 10:1 ratios. That is why I think my micing tech my by wrong. I have altered it alittle and am happier with the results so far, but its because I havent had any ess problems. I havent tried adding an eq after the de-ess though.

I concluded from the last de -ess thread that when it really matters, I will do volume adjustments within the DAW.

I also havent been able to try the DBX 902 yet.
  6. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    The EQ after the Lim/comp, for me, was only becuase the mic in question was a SM7 and I wanted a little more top (and I didn't have a dolby stretch available [ moddified dobly 'A' card used to add "air").
  7. Scott_Fouts

Scott_Fouts Guest

(not just RM - but all of you guys.) Thanks for the info - but especially for the info in your archived post and the last response. I'm headed back into "the room"!

scott sends . . .