1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dead mic... What to do?

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair Modifications DIY' started by ijiraq, May 5, 2013.

1. ijiraq

ijiraq Active Member

So I have a J47a that I love dearly. It died however, after sitting cold stored (-40s) for about a month in Resolute Bay, then flew here in an unpressurized twin otter. Now I am wondering what killed the mic; Cold (electrolytic capacitor???) or altitude (lack of pressure), or both? I would really like to get this mic back up and running. XLR and all is fine. Gained/levels up all the way if i really tap the housing i get a faint sound... I just want to know where to start on this mic. Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You could always send it to Michael Joly for repair. (Oktavamod.com)

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

As far as the "why" I'm guessing temperature - more likely large and rapid temperature changes. (And the great thing about -40 is that you don't have to specify Celsius or Fahrenheit.)

4. rmburrow

rmburrow Active Member

Try putting the mic in a closed box with some dessesicant (that silica gel stuff in a small bag) for a week at normal room temperature before sending it off for repair....

5. ijiraq

ijiraq Active Member

ya did that. Still last ditch hope that drying will work. But not promising as we live in the second driest place on earth (next to the antarctic) lol
    I wont send it out for repair -by the time i ship i am more than into a new mic. I guess I'll just get the meter out...