1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Decision Time FF400 MOTU 828 MkII Sebatron VMP

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Dr_Steve, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Dr_Steve

Dr_Steve Guest

Hi All,

Been looking at upgrading my "studio" in ages. I have an old Hoontech CPort (ergh) and am looking at getting a firewire interface. Been reading heaps and everything has problems with it (except maybe the fireface 800 which is universally loved). Anyway, I'm sick of reading, its time to buy. I had just about decided to buy a fireface 400 - however I have since realised the converters aren't the same as the 800 (specs are different). I imagine it would be as stable (same driver) and have great latency, but maybe not sound as good (no reviews yet unfortunately). So I am also looking at the MOTU 828 MkII. It probably wont sound as good as the FF400, but I have found a really really good price for it - about $700 AUD (about $530 US) cheaper than the Fireface 400. With that price differential I could almost get a Sebatron VMP 1000e and a MOTU 828 Mk II for the same price as the FF. I'd go for the FF 800 - but can't quite justify the price at the moment. Note that if I got the FF 400 I'd hopefully add a nice pre to it at some indeterminant time in the future.

What do people think? I am running Windows XP and would use the interface for recording bands at home, and also to run softsynths live with my laptop - and probably click tracks and backing tracks.

Thanks for reading

Stephen

2. BROKENBONES

BROKENBONES Active Member

using the sebatron preamps will be a big enough difference for you. when I switched from the pres in my converters to using an external preamp the improvement in quality was amazing. the converters only made a small difference.

3. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

I love my 828 MKII. It's got lots of functionality, lots of inputs and it's easy to use. Sure..it's only got 2 pre's but thats what the external ones are for.

I'd agree with BrokenBones in that an upgrade in preamps will make more of a difference in the sound than just an upgrade in converters.