1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dedicated Servers for Music Business

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sbray, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Do you use a Dedicated Server for your Music Biz?

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sbray

sbray Guest

I am curious to know how many music business professionals are utilizing dedicated servers for their business. I am a music business owner, but I've also gotten involved in a new industry that is connected to the music business by way of streaming audio, video, uploads, downloads, artist websites, EPK's, etc... Dedicated Servers.

Please respond and let me know if you use a dedicated server in your business and how you are using it. Thanks!

2. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I what regard are you referring to dedicated servers?

There's several types... e.g. email, file, ftp, web, apache, sql/oracle????

I run several dedicated boxes and servers... I also have several 3rd party servers and services.

How are you doing your streams? Are you strictly on an outbound fileserve operation and/or are you doing a capture of external streams?

What about replication and backup ops? Any mirroring?

What's your bandwidth usage and connection? T1, T2, T3???

sorry to answer your question with 200 more questions......

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

RO is obviously on one. Its been a learning curve. I'm interested in this question well.

4. sbray

sbray Guest

Presently, for my own music business, I use 3rd party servers for email, file transfers, websites, etc... I recently came on board with Sago Networks and I'm learning about the datacenter industry. I am getting my own dedicated server to guarantee a faster upload/download speeds.

I am noticing that many of our clients are hosting dedicated servers for Internet Radio sites, EPK (electronic press kits), file transfers (music, project tracks, video), and things like that. I'm noticing a trend in companies moving from the 3rd party (shared hosting) services to just getting their own servers from datacenters. In other words a lot of people are not really technical but they recognize the benefits of having their own server as opposed to sharing one.

What do you look for in a dedicated server provider? Are you reselling servers? Why would you switch from shared hosting to Dedicated Servers?

5. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I've been in the data server industry for about 15 years, so please accept my jaded comments with a grain of salt....

Third party servers are particularly suited for things like webservers, Internot Radio, streaming audio/video servers, e-commerce and the like. Let the folks who can afford to do the security and redundant backups, do what they do, and get that mess off my plate.

IMVHO, file, ftp and email are better in a local dedicated server. The only issues I see are the need for in-house technical expertise that can handle the day to day operations and the maintenance.

The other half of the entire IT infrastructure of this (or any) industry is the necessity for a end to end backup and DR. These can be handled in-house, or can be farmed out to a co-lo service provider.

I like the concept of a co-lo, but the costs can be pretty prohibitive.

Would I switch any of my 3rd party to local?... prolly not.

Would I switch any more of my local to a remote hosting? I seriously doubt it.

If I want an immediate backup, convenience of maintenance, etc.... I'm going to keep those functions (hardware) close at hand. That way I'm not struggling with support calls at 2AM.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

MadMax, good to learn your expertise. I wonder if you can tell me your opinion on the best OS for running a site like RO? I'm looking into upgrading our server and I have a selection to choose from. This time I will be doing most of the install.
    Also, what other software comes with the OS? MySQL.. PHP, things like this?

7. sbray

sbray Guest

CentOS is probably your best bet. It comes with updated software versions: Apache-2.2, php-5.1.6, kernel-2.6.18, Gnome-2.16, KDE-3.5, OpenOffice.org-2.0, Evolution-2.8, Firefox-1.5, Thunderbird-1.5, MySQL-5.0, PostgreSQL-8.1.

and more...

CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.) CentOS is free.

CentOS is developed by a small but growing team of core developers. In turn the core developers are supported by an active user community including system administrators, network administrators, enterprise users, managers, core Linux contributors and Linux enthusiasts from around the world.

CentOS has numerous advantages over some of the other clone projects including: an active and growing user community, quickly rebuilt, tested, and QA'ed errata packages, an extensive mirror network, developers who are contactable and responsive, multiple free support avenues including IRC Chat, Mailing Lists, Forums, a dynamic FAQ. Commercial support is offered via a number of vendors.

Hope this helps.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

thank you sbray,

I'm not too literate on using ssh however, can do things quite easily if I know the prompts to type in. Is it easy to just ssh into root, account setup and install a data base, email acounts, parking domains etc or do I need to add cpanel before I setup my new server?

9. sbray

sbray Guest

Go with cPanel, for sure!