1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

delta, help!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Fer, May 10, 2004.

1. Fer

Fer Guest

I´ve heard that if I get a Delta 44 card, I won´t be able to listen to cds or run other programs with sound, since its only use is for recording music.
    is that so? does anyone know of a card in the same price range ($200/230) which could be better than that one?

Fer

2. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Sounds old wives tale to me. I have an Audiophile 2496 (2 channel card) by MAudio, and there's a monitor mixer window that lets you route input & output signals however you want. Have you looked at the specs on the Delta? Does it have analog inputs/outputs? I'm guessing it does, so whoever told you that is incorrect, sir.

3. by

by Guest

Delta 44 runs cds and other apps just fine. On PC you MAY need to do one or two things to set it up: For CD playback, go into the device properties and turn on "Digital Playback". Also, especially if you have on-board audio, you may need to set Delta 44 as the default sound play-back device.

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Where did you hear that Fer? That's just not true.

5. Fer

Fer Guest

thanks to all of you guys!!!!
    I wouldn´t normally say this, but I´M THRILLED TO BE HERE!!!!!! this is a hell of a marvellous place!!!
    now, regarding delta, would you recommend any other for the same price, or is it one of the best? worth the money?

FER

6. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I think the Delta is the best of it's kind for the money.

We're thrilled that you're thrilled! Tell all your friends :D

7. Fer

Fer Guest

yeahhhh!!!

8. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

With all things considered, It would be really hard to beat the Delta series cards in that price range.

9. Fer

Fer Guest

what do you think of the Waveterminal 192m?
    It´s very close in price (a bit cheaper) and it has got two mic inputs with preamp phantom power. I´ve been told it´s good.

fer

10. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

I doubt that the mic preamps are worth using. And it only has +12v phantom power not +48. What's with that?

11. krash

krash Guest

FWIW I can't play CDs through my 1010, the "digital audio" whatever checkbox for my CD drive properties is grayed out (Win98SE) who knows why.

Anyone have a clue what I can do to solve this? Giant PITA.

12. by

by Guest

12V is not the standard anymore, but alot of equipment will work with it just fine. I think tube mics might be out of the question though, I'm not sure but I think transistor based mics use 12V. Anyone care to elaborate!?

13. krash

krash Guest

Most electret mics will work fine, depending on how they derive power. Most cheap electrets (such as the Panasonic-type capsules) have max of 10V.

Most "pro" mics, besides measurement mics and some other electrets, though, do not employ cheap electret elements. Many higher-end electrets won't run properly on 12V.

For sure most "true" condensers won't run on 12V.

In fact some tube mics might not even power up on a 12V supply.

If a mic will run on 12V phantom power even though it was specified for 48V, will run with increased distortion, noise floor, reduced dynamic range and probably reduced high end/bandwidth.

14. Consul

Consul Guest

As I understand it, nearly all tube mics have their own power supply (in a separate box) and thus need no phantom from the preamp at all. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Fer

Fer Guest

what´s a TUBE mic?
    so you say you can´t use a 48v mic with 12v?

fer

16. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles11.htm

17. frob

frob Well-Known Member

i have a delta 1010 and ive had no probs do you have the latest driver, have you asked their custimer servis if any problems are known in 98se.

ive never used it in 98se only in 2k and xp