1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

DI question... painful question

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by composition4, Apr 11, 2005.

1. composition4

composition4 Guest

Hey guys,

I've always recorded bass by micing the amp and never recorded direct (I know, I know...) but I've just bought a BSS AR116 for direct recording. Just a couple of questions, as basic and obvious as the second one may be...

1. Is the BSS a decent direct box?

and... painfully...

2. Do I have to run through a preamp (whether it be outboard or on the mixer) before the signal is usable? Or does the AR116 output at line level?

Thanks guys,
  2. poprocks

poprocks Guest

Can't answer to the quality of that box ... but I imagine you'll find out when you fire it up. To answer your second question, the output of a DI is mic level, so it will need to be run to a mic pre. The purpose of a DI is to change from hi (instrument) to lo (mic) impedence.
  3. composition4

composition4 Guest

I thought as much, I've used direct for keyboard etc - I just keep reading that it converts the signal to line level, but I never believed... considering it'd have to amplify the signal to do so.

Thanks for that!

So has anyone used the BSS AR116 and can comment on how good/crap it is? My unit is in transit right now (eBay job)