1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Did I fry my new PRO VLA?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Beneficial, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Beneficial

Beneficial Guest

I bought a supposedly new in box "last of the USA made" Art PRO VLA's off of Ebay. In the picture it was outside of the box, and the seller only had 2 previous sales, so I was a little suspect, but I went ahead about purchased it anyway.

When I recieved it, the box looked beat up and old, but the unit looked absolutely brand new. I hooked it up to my studiomaster console with 2 unbalanced cables out of my tape bus into the unit,, then 2 unbalanced cables out of the unit and into track 1 and 2 on the board. I had faders up but no signal was being passed yet, and the mixer was on. Then I turned on the power on the PRO VLA and the VU meters lit up for about 1 second then went black. Now it doesn't power up at all.

The seller won't hasn't responded to my multiple emails, it's been about 3 days. I don't know if he sent me a non functional unit, or if I fried it. The VU meters did light for a second,, and now they don't light at all and the unit doesn't turn on. The manual says it has balanced ins/outs but it claims it will work fine with unbalanced cables as well.

Any ideas for me? Thanks guys.
  2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    I'd keep pushing... :evil: :evil:
  3. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Might as well open it up and check for a blown fuse under the hood. My Pro MPA has an internal fuse, I'm guessig the VLA does also.
  4. lek

lek Guest

I wouldn't open up or touch the thing - wait for the seller to respond.
    If the seller doesn't respond (though give him time, perhaps he's out of town), something is obviously up.
    File a complaint with paypal / ebay, stating the unit arrived not as described (At this point and since the seller is not responding, I reeaaaally doubt you turning it on was the cause of it, assuming you know how to plug something in the wall, and hook up xlr cables!). State you want a refund as you received a non-functioning unit. After all, this is NOT your fault at all.
    By the way, I would already put the thing in dispute with your credit card if you paid that way.
  5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    No offense but I've never known a Studiomaster board that had enough output to fry anything.

Check for a fuse under the hood.Massive is right ,all the Pro arts have one inside.Put in your claim as suggested .Put in a claim to the SHIPPER since they had it last.The tape outs on that board aint a whole lot of volts...I use mine across the sub-bus on my Ghost and drive the bejesus out of it constantly...no blow up.YMMV