1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Did I make a mistake? (Cubase SX3)

Discussion in 'Cubase' started by CombatWombat, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. CombatWombat

    CombatWombat Active Member

    So, I did a fair amount of research on SX3 and decided that it was what I wanted and would suit me best, so I bought it. But apparently I didn't dig deep enough because I didn't realize that Cubase 4 was going to be released so soon. Did I really screw up here? I haven't actually opened the software yet because it's on order for me through my local shop, so I may still have the option to return it.

    What is the general concensus here? I haven't looked too deep into it yet, but it looks like the only major difference is that Cubase 4 will support their new VST format. Will there be a substantial price difference if I decide to wait for Cubase 4? What do you think I should do? :?
     
  2. DIGIT

    DIGIT Guest

    You'll be able to upgrade for a nominal fee. Ask STEINBERG and if you feel the upgrade from 3 to 4 is too steep wait for V4...although, the difference in price may be the same or more than the price of the upgrade :)
     
  3. pr0gr4m

    pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

    I've been using 2.2 for a while. I was just too lazy to get SX3 and for me 2.2 was working well.
    I am holding out for SX4 instead of shelling out the $$ for SX3.

    If you need something right away, then get 3 and upgrade when 4 is released. If not, wait for 4.
     
  4. dementedchord

    dementedchord Well-Known Member

    $ .02

    can you cancel the order...check the site vst3 is NOT the only or even main diff... this lloks to be a major overhaul in some reguards... includes a knocked down ver of halion... the controll room function alone will be worth it for some...
     
  5. hueseph

    hueseph Well-Known Member

    Cubase 4 and Cubase Studio 4 will be out on the October 8th. It's only just over a week to wait so. I would consider it. I might look into pre-purchasing it though. Chances are all the Intel Mac owners have been waiting all too long for this.
     
  6. CombatWombat

    CombatWombat Active Member

    Crisis averted. I am buying the academic version and the price is the same, so my salesman already upgraded it for me when he found out that there weren't even any SX3 academic versions left. That was nice and easy.
     
  7. Nirvalica

    Nirvalica Guest

    i would have said take it back and return it, then download sx3 on a bit torrent site and use it until you get sx4....
     
  8. dementedchord

    dementedchord Well-Known Member

    $ .02

    ordered my up grade today... they're already shipping....
     
  9. gdoubleyou

    gdoubleyou Well-Known Member

    Because of steinbergs past history with updates I would wait a couple of months till they they get some of the bugs worked out.

    With SX3 most people have a working setup now.

    8)
     
  10. True - but this phenomena is not exclusive to Steinberg, it's a good idea in general to wait for major bugs/issues to be fixed, let all the 'gotta have it now' brigade be the beta testers. Steinberg are no better or worse in this regard than other daw manufacturers...
     

Share This Page