1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Digikit into Mbox

Discussion in 'Recording' started by COD, Oct 27, 2009.

1. COD

COD Active Member

Apr 7, 2009
    A friend of me has a Roland TD4 digikit and rather then recording the line-out, I'm looking into feeding the MIDI out into PT LE, so we can edit his playing and use different samples afterwards. However my Mbox 1 doesn't have a MIDI in; will a simple MIDI to usb converter like the Cakewalk UM1G give me one MIDI file/track which I can edit with PT? What exactly does the MIDI out send, one single track with all hits on the kit? What are alternatives besides the UM1G? I'm not that experienced with hooking up external hardware with MIDI. Thanks.
  2. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The MIDI out from the TD4 consists of a stream of digital data describing basically what was hit, how hard and (implicitly) when.

Any simple MIDI interface will work to capture this data, but not an Mbox with PT. If you were to get a USB MIDI interface, you could record the MIDI data stream using software such as Reaper or Cubase and then import the stream into PT. However, PT is not a good MIDI editor, and you would be better sticking to Cubase for your MIDI projects.
  3. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    a simple USB midi port should be available to PT

I use PT for my midi editing
    yes Logic and Cubase do offer things that may suit a larger midi system but basic recording and editing can be done with PT
  4. sonicfan

sonicfan Guest

is there any other method by which i can hooking up external hardware with MIDI
  5. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    unless that external unit has USB

you will need a midi port

OLD computers could use their GAMES port as as MIDI interface
    but why bother

a simple USB MIDI interface