1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Digimax vs. Digital Mixers?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sickstring, Sep 27, 2004.

1. sickstring

sickstring Guest

Hello to all, I have never posted, but have always found the advice from recording.org to be top notch!

I currently have a Digi 001 with a Digimax 8 ch mic pre. The pre's for the Digimax are decent enough for my purposes and also give me 8 more channels of input and has worked great for me in tracking in the past. My set up also includes some gates and compressors from Behringer a 2442 16 channel Behringer UB board, BBE, and a Yamaha 32 channel dual band EQ. I mainly use the board for rehearsing with my band and as a control room section for my monitors and headphone mixes (the Digi 001 has a minimum 128ms latency issue). I was thinking of buying a Mackie HUI for a control surface, but then I thought maybe a digital mixer would be in order and then I could sell all my outboard gear. The only problem I am having is there are no comparisons to the Digimax pres and the pres on the Tascam and Yamaha digital boards. I like the idea of a digital mixer as it would work great for rehearsal and port to recording much easier than running everything from scratch for each to avoid latency issues when rehearsing. I have spoken with Presonus and they say that the pres in the Digimax are class A mic pres and I want to make sure if I do this that I can get the same quality pres in a digital mixer with HUI emulation for pro tools control, any ideas and has anyone else ever faced this same dilemma? Thanks for the help.