1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Digital ADAT interface

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jshayden, Dec 19, 2004.

1. jshayden

jshayden Guest

I have a small home studio. I need some sort of digital interface for my ADAT so that I can use software. I found one of these really cheap, so I was thinking of buying this and a PCI card and using ProTools. I was wondering if someone had a suggestion for a fairly affordable PCI card that will work with this device? Or, maybe someone has a better idea alltogether?!

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Protools will require its own specific hardware to operate (PCI cards will not work with PT). I believe the Pro-Tools Digi002 has ADAT optical I/O built in. That interface you linked to looks pretty ancient, and is not likely supported by any PC built the past 7 years. What is that, a Printer Port interface? :shock:

I'm running Nuendo on a screamin' fast PC, and I use an RME 96/36 PCI ADAT card (allows 18 ins and 18 outs at once). I love it.

The EMU 1212m is another cheap ADAT PCI card that includes descent AD and DA conversion, too (but it still won't work with Pro-Tools).

:cool:

3. jshayden

jshayden Guest

hmm.. ok..

is that card specific to that software?

4. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Pro-Tools software won't even run if it does not detect a Pro-Tools audio interface. You HAVE to buy Pro-Tools hardware to use Pro-Tools software.

Software like Nuendo (or Cubase) will work with practically ANY soundcard (like the E-Mu 1212m ADAT card I mentioned above).

:cool:

5. jshayden

jshayden Guest

excellent. pro-tools hardware was just the first thing i came across. that's why i came here! thank's alot. i'm looking at both cards right now. i still need software though.. I've never seen Nuendo..