1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Digital noise when trying to record

Discussion in 'Recording' started by durkmusic, Jun 18, 2010.

1. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

Hi, I am trying to record vocals and have been for years. The problem is, there is digital noise or hum while no sound is going into the mic. I have turned off the mic and there is still the same hum. I have unplugged the mic, still same noise. I have concurred that this must be some sort of digital noise and this has always been a problem on 3 computers, 2 mics, 4 soundcards, and countless programs. I must be doing something wrong here. I am currently using FL studio to record since it is the easiest to see what is going on with the audio, I have a condenser and passive mic which i use separately in an external creative soundcard. I can take pictures of everything answer any questions, I have even recorded audio from the input of line/mic with the mic unplugged and uploaded it here:

link didn't work so check below for new link with video...

Thank you for your help

2. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Give us more details of your audio interface or soundcard and how you are connecting it all up.

I can't get your sound sample to play.

4. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

Okay, here is a video on youtube that should give you all the info you need. If you need anything else just ask. Thank you so much for your help.

YouTube - Digital Noise When Recording

Idk what it is... I honestly can't figure it out. I have searched all over the internet and I've gotten nowhere.

Please help me out on this. Thank you.

5. Boswell

Thanks for posting that, but the camera was moving around so much I couldn't see what make and type of soundacrd you were using.

6. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

Haha sorry I don't have the steadiest hand...

It's a Creative Labs Model No. SB1090
    X-fi

And the soundcard in my desktop is supposed to be the best one for a motherboard. I chose the best ASUS motherboard with the best soundcard for this reason and it still didn't solve it... so then I got this soundcard to see if it made any difference...

I mean it has to be the soundcards I can't think of any other reason...

7. Boswell

Yes, that type of soundcard and the built-in ones are meant for gaming and for home theatre, and are not really suitable for professional audio. A medium-price USB or FireWire audio interface would make a world of difference.

I don't know whether you have thought about a budget for a proper interface, but you should be aiming for something like the TC Electronic Konnekt 8 or the Impact Twin or the E-MU 0202 USB 2.0.

8. durkmusic

durkmusic Active Member

How much money are we talkin here?

Oh wow I just looked $300... is there anything else that can give me good quality recording without costing so much? Just seeing if there is anything out there...

Thanks.