Digital Orchestras! Where can I get one?!

Discussion in 'Orchestra' started by hxckid88, Apr 5, 2008.

1. hxckid88

hxckid88 Active Member

May 9, 2005
    I've been getting into different types of video game and movie music. I'm not MUCH of a composer but I love to write rock music. I've been incorporating orchestra sounds with rock music (yeah, like that hasn't been done before) for industrial rock-ish movie music. Make sense? Well to give you an idea, I've REALLY been digging the music of Charlie Clouser (Saw, Resident Evil films, former NIN member...)

Well anyway, if I could afford to hire an orchestra and orchestrator and record it (and if I could actually write scores well) then that would be rad! But fact is, I'm kind of wiggling my way into this whole deal, and this is the digital era, if I can get away with writing great music 100% digital and MAYBE throwing in an acoustic guitar or electric guitar of my own then sure! ;)

I currently own and use Reason 4 which has AWESOME sounds. I don't have any of the Refills but I will probably look into that into the future.

I was wondering what the pros use for composing movie music (that obviously is not a real orchestra, otherwise I wouldn't be asking). And by this I mean lots of cymbals and percussion, timpanys and string sections with cellos, basses, violins, violas, big bass drums and etc.

I have a hard time finding good percussion and nice string sections with attack. I find alot of really synthy and slow, pretty violins but I've yet to discover many powerful staccatos and etc

I want to accomplish this via Cubase Studio 4 + virtual instrument/plug-in, or maybe there really ARE great Refills out there for Reason 4 that can accomplish this. I'm also open to trying new sequencers too. I've got my hands on Ableton live 7 lite and it was neat but not sure if it was what I was looking for. I've never really got my hands on Logic either. And I used to use Fruity Loops but for scores it doesn't exactly work so efficiently.

I'm open to any suggestions for plugins/virtual instruments, other software, etc. I just want to hear what other people are using so I can discover some new ways to create music. *ahem* to create digital orchestras.

THANKS! You guys rock! =)

And check out if you want an idea of what kind of music I like to deal with.