1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Digital vs. Analog Compressors

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by dabmeister music, Jan 29, 2004.

1. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Home Page:
    With the advent of software compressors, is it still wise to consider using analog compressors? I own a dbx DDP and use it as a analog compressor (going through the AD/DA converters). I have WAVES' Renaissance Compressor and really love it too. My question is, would it be worth purchasing another good compressor reguardless of its circuitry?

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

I think it is always worth buying another high quality tool. Great analog comps sound better and have high value to me. but then I also more comps than I do preamps eq's, or mics.

3. dabmeister music

Home Page:
    Thanks Audiogaff, IYO, what do you think would be a good analog compressor.

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

That is a broad question. Here a few that I own or have used: dbx 160S & 160SL, API 525 & 2500, Tube-Tech CL1B & CL2A, Groove Tube CL1s, Summit TLA-100, Focusrite Red-3, Joe Meek SC2, UA 1176 & LA2A, Manley El-Op & Vari-Mu, Crane Song Tracker, Any green Altec, EL-8 Distressor, Aphex compeller, Neve 2254 & 33609, Smart C2, Eclair Engineering LALA, any of the Pendulum Audio tube comps and many others as well.

5. The RNC at $175 is a great buy. My favorite color comp is my 1176 reissue. David

6. dabmeister music

Home Page:
    Hey guys, I've been eyeing the UA 1176 for some time now. How does the UAD-1 pluggin version by Mackie stand up to the original? This would only come to play if I could'nt get my hands on the real thing.

7. dabmeister music

Home Page:
    Is the 1176 also considered a leveling amplifier? Is this another way of calling it a compressor?

8. No clone plug-in can live up to the hardware version IMO.
    The 1176 has 4:1 all the way up to 20:1 and absolutely can be used as a limiter. David

9. a33

a33 Active Member

The UAD is a good tool but i prefer the hardware . I have both.
    For plugins the UAD is great!!!

I wouldn't think of the desision as one or the other Get both!! :D (eventualy)
    The fairchild plugin is worth the money alone.