1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Direct Recording with a effect in LP8/motu828mk2

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by pest1320, Nov 9, 2009.

1. pest1320

pest1320 Active Member

basically, i have shure ksm27/avalon 737sp/motu828mk2/art X4 headphone amp.Specs lp8/ppc g5 quad.osx10.4.11 buffer @ 128
    yesterday i was recording and i wanted to add a effect like reverb etc but i dont want to effect the latency.
    then i started researching and notice ive been recording whilst software monitoring was on and ive had a little latency but never noticed till my friend commented (complained) on it.
    So now i know (after about 1hr.of researching) to record direct and bypass logic but, how will i put say a reverb so i can monitor it in the vocal booth it but not record it?
    say i have all instruments going out 3-4 and vocals out phones 1-2 (2 HPhone amp)do i stick a effects procesor right b4 the headphone amp to feed the booth or will the effect,effect both instruments and vocals?
    seems like there should be a way to accomplish what im tring to do with what i already have.
    Since i'm just starting to record vocals now looks like ill have a happy place to visit every hour or so!
    Thanks for any help i really want to figure this out with the least amount of latency.
    -

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

With 6 you get eggroll but no effects.

Mx. Remy Ann David

3. pest1320

pest1320 Active Member

4. jammster

jammster Active Member

The new version of Logic Pro uses compensation settings for the I/O plug so that you can indeed get rid of any latency.

I see your using an older power mac G5, I thought I read that the newer updates of LP9 will not run well on the G5, although Lp9 will run.

I suppose you are aware that Apple is not supporting any running a ppc.

In addition to that you must update your OSX to Ver 10.5.8

I would suggest you record the effect into Logic, then work with the delay offset on the channel strip to get rid of any latency.

There is no other solution that I can think of other than updating to LP9 :!: :|

5. pest1320

pest1320 Active Member

Today i just ran the headphones out from the motu into the mpc added reverb,outted from the mpc hphones into the headphone amp with the beat from logic outted 3-4 from motu into the hphone amp(to the vocalist) via trs 2-1 connector.that way vocalist can monitor reverb and not record it in logic and not have to worry about any latency for problems,worked just fine.seems like i should get a little effect box for the vocalist to monitor with on insert into the chain so i don't have to do the whole mpc riggin.
    i guess this is the only thing i can do in the meantime just sucks runnin the cables around the desk. but whatever works right?
    thanks for the replies.-j.Dolce