Disc Makers versus Disc Masters

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by Cucco, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Hey guys -
    I just wanted to check and see if any of you are familiar with a company known as Disc Masters (http://www.discmasters.com).

I'm quite familiar with Disc Makers but not with Disc Masters. Currently, I have a client who is getting quotes for a release and Disc Masters is coming in much cheaper. That being said, Disc Masters is only using the term "Disc Duplication" on their website versus "Disc Replication." I can't tell if this is just a terminology typo or if they truly only Duplicate.

Have any of you worked with Disc Masters and thus have a comment about them, their quality, their standards and their processes?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Never heard of 'em. And they're "right down the street" (geographically speaking).

3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Jeremy as you may know, duplication refers to a CD recording tower utilizing blank CD media. Whereas replication indicates industrial stamping from glass masters, as a large record companies utilize. And when indicated in this manner, replicated CDs are the most universally compatible whereas duplicated CDs can have their compatibility problems.

Never heard of the Company you mentioned? And as you have probably discovered, Disc Makers also have their own mastering studio and offer disc mastering at reasonable rates for those who want it.

My friend Philip at IMC optical.com does both duplication & replication. Most duplication are runs of under 1000 and are generally duplicated at a lower cost since set up and glass masters are not required.

You haven't been duped here
    Ms. Remy Ann David

4. Cucco

Remy -
    I'm definitely familiar with the differences between duplication and replication - my question is: Do they? In other words, are they mistakenly using the wrong term or do they really only duplicate?
    Thanks-
    J

5. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Why not just call them and ask them?

6. Cucco

Yeah, that's the plan, but I still want to get an idea about their overall quality...

7. honestyhurts

honestyhurts Guest

There are ways to undercut other replicators the most common is graded "b" quality discs, shitty printing , bad cutting and cheap by hand assembly (using illegal aliens). Discmakers are decent manufactures and have a tried and tested product, why risk getting crap to save a few bucks?

8. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go anywhere else than Diskmakers for "replicated" projects.

And they have a great incentive program; the "Studio Partner" Plan. Can't beat it. Highly recommended.

9. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Yep. Their mastering is not for me, but everything else is hard to beat!