1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discmakers Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Immage, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Immage

Immage Guest

I have been getting all my project duplication and packaging done by discmakers, but I am wondering if they are really the best. I have seen claims of cheaper rates with other places, but I don't know if they are as good in quality and reliability. Anyone have good experiences with other places, or is discmakers the best?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

IMCoptical.com in Baltimore Maryland delivers as high a quality product. Probably better since they are smaller. It also depends upon how much quantity you want. Anything under 1000 pieces is generally duplicated. Anything over 1000 pieces is generally replicated. Replication requires a higher substantial investment.

Discmakers isn't the best. But they do spend a lot more on advertising. Oh & you might be on one of their ineffective compilation CDs? Others are also offering ineffective compilation CD distribution to people who are disinterested. But it's a great sales feature isn't it? You really think you're getting something extra. Placebo is good. Probably the best rock-and-roll group in the world. Look for it at a drug store near you.

I like real drugs better than fake drugs.
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Immage

Immage Guest

I guess you are correct in the terminology- replication, not duplication. I usually do 1000 discs per project. (Only occasionally 100 or 500.) I run a studio, and the discs are my clients' projects. I offer them that service rolled into their contract price. I have been happy with the service I have gotten from discmakers, I am just wondering if there is something better out there that I don't know about. Sometimes you get used to shopping at one place, so you don't realize that the competition is actually better. I know if someone else was cheaper it would help my clients and myself too! I looked at IMCoptical.com. They look pretty comparable in the pricing department. Perhaps I am getting the best deal anyone offers.

4. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

We've done numerous client projects through about 10 different replication houses. The CD quality and on-disc screened text and graphics were pretty equal in quality between them all. We have been especially pleased with the glossy print-work on the inserts from Discmakers and Oasis. My partner in the mobile recording studio is a graphic designer by trade and knows good print-work when he sees it. The rest were all good, but those 2 stood out to us as excellent. For what that's worth.

5. Immage

Immage Guest

Thanks for the input. I looked at Oasis, but they seem to be a bit more expensive than discmakers. I will keep them in mind though. I will probably be sending out another project the week after next.

6. CEORecords

CEORecords Guest

Come on! Oasis and Discmakers are the same company. It's like the same dress with different prices in WalMart and Macy's. Don't be fooled.

There are many more better companies out there. We tried both sfvieo and newcyberian.com and they both provided better prices than discmakers. New Cyberian's website seems to be the most user friendly for making dvd replication packaging options.

Depends on where you are located, you may want to choose a local supplier to save you the shipping cost. It can be in the range of $200 if you order retail ready packaging such as jewel cases or amaray cases.

7. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

This is true.

8. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Try AMI in Burlington, NC.

They aren't the cheapest, but I think they do a good job and seem to be reasonable in all around value.

9. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I don't know that to be true, but let's assume that it is. All I'm saying is - we've used at least 10 different replication houses. The CD replication has been consistently good everywhere. The differences we noticed were in the quality (weight and sheen) of the coated papers used for the traycards and booklets. More expensive? Slicker finished product? - yes and yes.

The fact is, we have obviously tried the other 9 or 10 others to save a few bucks, so it depends on what your priorities are. Both Oasis and Discmakers are in my region. I agree with CEO that it, "Depends on where you are located, you may want to choose a local supplier to save you the shipping cost." With that in mind, San Jose, and San Fran aren't going to be an option here in the Mid-Atlantic region.

At a glance, the manufacturers CEO is promoting don't look any less expensive - and I disagree about the virtues of their website.

10. JoeH

JoeH Well-Known Member

It seems that "Best" or even "Better" is rather subjective, and depends on a variety of factors.

Best at WHAT? Better than....what? Do you prefer to pay less for shipping but more for the product? Do the CDs you get SOUND any different from one company to the other? Do you get coasters from any of them? What's their customer service like? Printing Ok? Turnaround time on time?

As for price....let's be honest about it. We're all professionals here, and none of us (well, I'd HOPE so) trade our services just because we're the CHEAPEST. Well, maybe some of you do, but I never go buy from someone just because they're the cheapest. In my mind, that usually signals that they've cut corners on something somewhere else. Sure, price is a concern, but it's not the ONLY reason I shop somewhere, esp something as complicated as a big CD replication order with printing.

I choose my service & supply companies (replacement inks, blank media, paper, etc.) for a variety of reasons:

Good websites. (For ordering supplies quickly & easily, sometimes in the middle of the night.)

Good Phones. If it requires more than just a web portal, the company must at least have good phone service; a real warm body to answer the phone, and knowledgable staff to handle my account and help me. (If they can't find my account by either inputting my phone #, or company name or address, then I'm OUTTA there, fast. Nothing steams me more than being forgotten by a big company that can't be bothered to pay attention to what I spend over the years with them.)

Good Value/Less Hassles. Last but not least is the product & service I get with the money I (or my client) am spending. Is it done on time? Does it look/sound like it's supposed to? Did I get what I paid for? It is at least competitive with the other guy? Does the shipping cost outweigh the convenience or lower price I'm getting? Most of all: Is my client happy?

All of these things factor in to where you'll end up for your CD replication jobs. Discmakers doesn't need ME to shill for them, but in the interest of full disclosure, I've lived 12 miles away from their main plant in NJ for years (now I'm about an hour away, but still do gigs in the area). In the more than ten years I've been doing business with them, I've never been burned or unhappily suprised, but that's because I pay attention.

One MUST do one's homework first, however, and they stress that over and over again when setting up a project with them if you're going to get the best deal. They have online templates if you don't know how to design your own packaging, and they have mastering services if you can't get yours done on your own. You can also do it all yourself and simply hand in a ready-to-go product and save even more on the front end. All you need to do is PAY ATTENTION to what they're telling you, deal directly with your assigned sales rep, and the rest is pretty simple and painless. (You can also sign up for their Studio-Partner program and simply refer your more "DIY" clients to them while still getting a nice 5% comission from the deal. You win either way for your time & trouble.)

I've also had the luxury of picking up materials from them in person when I'm in a bind for supplies (and they're only 1 day away from me via standard UPS ground shipping, so I'm definitely spoiled when it comes to that...)

The lure from other online (and "Cheaper") companies is a published "lower" price, implying is all you have to do is place your order over the web, give 'em a CC number and you're done. Anyone who's done a complete package for a client - audio AND jewel case - knows this just ain't so. Some of these guys do fantastic work and are worth the extra poking around. Some aren't, unfortunately.

I can't tell anyone who to use and what their needs are, I need more than subjective opinions about "Good" vs. "Not-Good." Was your order incomplete by someone? Did they mess up the color of the booklet? Did your CDs skip? Did they miss a deadline?

I really do believe that in the end, there's no free lunch, and you simply get what you pay for.

I just want to supply a service to my clients, and I want to know who to avoid and who's worth pursuing. Gimme the gory details if you've got 'em.

11. CEORecords

CEORecords Guest

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I think I have the authority to say something about discmakers. I did use discmakers and I agree the disc quality was universally good no matter where you go. As far as the digipak I got from discmakers I was happy too. Then I took the advise from users on CDBaby (now a discmakers company) and I ordered from newcyberian.com. Once I received my order I was shaking my head. The quality was way too much better. I believe it's worth couple of hundred more even you are in the East Coast. My suggestion is to request samples from both companies and then compare them. The products won't lie.

12. kev249

kev249 Guest

I'm thinking Oasis and Disc Makers are the same company as well, just too many similarities.

Everything Disc Makers produces comes out of their factory in New Jersey so you will pay for shipping unless you are located in Pennsauken.

I recently used a company called Streamline Multimedia in Woodinville, WA. Their pricing is very competitive and in most case can beat anyone out there. Their web address is http://www.streamlinemultimedia.com and their email is sales@streamlinemultimedia.com

13. BitbyBit

BitbyBit Guest

Don't buy from discmakers

Don't buy from discmakers. Their digipak sucks! They look cheap and the quality is so bad. I got mine from them and I am feeling sorry for myself. When tried to reason with them their only strategy is to IGNORE.

No! no! no! Do yourself a big favor, don't buy from discmakers unless you like the big corporation attitude.

14. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

That's a pretty bold statement.
    I've been doing business with DiscMakers for a very long time and have never been disappointed with their work.

For what it's worth - back to the original, but older topic....I just used a company called "Furnace" (http://www.furnacecd.com). It turns out they're pretty local to me (Fairfax). I haven't yet seen the product, but I did meet with them and they seemed above the level. I also walked around their factory floor - impressive. I'll see if I can post back once I have a final product.

Cheers-
    J.

15. idlewild

idlewild Guest

They are most certainly the same company

Take a look here for more information on how they both got bought out: http://www.pushstar.com/digsad.htm

Yes, the quality is the same (from any manufacturer) and you should be more weary about the print, turn times and price. Check out http://www.duplicationdeals.com for just another option.

16. themusiclab

themusiclab Guest

Hey guys, Take a look at http://www.cdexperts.com.

I'm an agent for the company. We get our products manufactured through Sony Canada. If you have any questions or would like a quote I'd be happy to assist.

We soundly beat out Discmakers rates and quality, no doubt. We use a glass mastering replication process not the hit or miss duplication. Check it out!

17. Oasis is the best (I've done 4.5 projects with them.)

I have to chime in here, anyone who thinks Oasis is "just like Disc Makers " hasn't worked with Oasis or DiscMakers, or certainly not with both. I've done 4.5 projects with them, I know that sounds odd but 4 of them were my own projects, ranging in quantity from 500 discs to 3,000, and the 1/2 was a compilation I was involved in which was a benefit they financially assisted with. The president, Micah Soloman (solomon?) is always avialable if something goes wrong, but frankly we ony had a wrinkle -- and it was a small one--in one of all of these projects. We used their environmental packaging on all of the projects, and they come out with new environmental packages every month, maybe every week, it seems like, and they're really fab.

The quality was good, they are *extremely* hands on and helpful, and then there's the whole other value of working with Oasis: I got played on about ten different radio stations on the Oasis samplers (which is something they give you free with every replication job) and got booked at several high profile clubs through their Tools of Promotion. CD Baby is included free as are a ton of other perks (about $80 worth of display racks for one thing, an up to date database of booking agents, musician software that I use for mass emailing, website hostng...) Add it all together, and their price ends up being at least as reasonable (not more expensive) than the other guys.

Here's the bottom line for me: If you think your music is o.k., and you want an o.k. result, use the other guys. If you really want the best foryour music, use Oasis. At least, that's what I think. )

18. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

I find it interesting that most of the people posting their opinions in this section and advertising 'someone else's' business are all one time posters that just joined.