1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dissertation questionnaire analogue vs digital

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Ungeeignet, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

Questionnaire: Can Analogue and digital recording co-exist?

1) What is your preferred medium for recording, analog tape or digital and why?

2) Do you feel there is still a cold vs warm debate in terms of actual recording medium and front end and processing equipment given digital recordings progress?

3) Is cost an issue to be debated when considering the recording medium and front end and processing equipment?

4) Is storage a factor to be considered?

5) Which release media do you feel are preferred and why?

6) What is the immediate future of the recording industry?

Please email replies to torque-2@blueyonder.co.uk and...
    Many thanks.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Tell you what, you give your answers to these questions and we'll comment on what you have written.

Brien Holcombe and Sean G like this.
  3. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

Sorry Boswell but my views for my dissertation are irrelevant. I must focus on other people's views, especially professionals. If I give my views it may bias the replies of any willing contributors.

4. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Maybe in that case you should explain the context rather better. For example, are you trying to carry out some sort of survey amongst professional recording engineers on which you will perform statistical processing to form a table in your dissertation? What's the title of the dissertation and at what level is it (Masters, PhD etc)?

Your original post reads as though you have been given the questions for homework and you are hoping to get someone else to answer them for you.

Sean G likes this.
  5. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

I've purposely kept the questions short and broad as I'd like the views of a range of people, from professionals to bedroom enthusiasts. The responses will indeed feed into a partly statistical debate on the potential co-existence of both analog and digital workflows. It's a BA.

6. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Except that you have left out perhaps the most important question of all - which is odd, because its the title of your dissertation, or at least the title subject question... which is in itself nowhere to be found in any of the questions you listed; there isn't anything that mentions both formats working together, which is a very common workflow these days among professional engineers...

It seems as though your questions are geared towards an "either/or skew", except that's not what your subject is... in fact, its the exact opposite of your subject. :confused:

Sean G likes this.
  7. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

An explanation of both formats working together could help with questions 2 and 3. I'd be genuinely interested in your opinion.

8. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

A little introduction would have been good explaining who you are, what you do, and why you are doing it.

I find this akin to a cold call in many ways, like the real estate agent or the religious hawker who comes knocking on my door unnanounced.

You'd basically get the same answer I'd give them, under the circumstances.

9. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

My name is Steve and I am conducting research into the future of recording, specifically whether that future involves both analog and digital equipment and techniques continually working side by side. Most professional studios I have been to or researched use both types of equipment. Many of the engineers and owners I have spoken to on the subject believe that analog will continue but mainly as a front end for recording into a DAW, some believe tape will completely die out in the future due to costs and storage issues, some think analog is now all but dead. The research is for a dissertation, part of a BA in Popular Music. I have a non commercial home studio using both analog and digital equipment.

10. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Well Steve, it sounds as though you have the answers to most of your questions already.
    Digital....because I don't own shares in 3M
    Yes, mainly because as much as I'd like to own one, I cannot afford a Neve 8078 and I like to be able to sit in my living room, as opposed to standing.
    That depends on whether my equipment is actually turned on or not and I have a window open...it gets pretty hot in here.
    Yes, ever since I turned my closet into a vocal booth, storage is a factor to be considered

11. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

All jokes aside...

1) Digital, for the convenience of cost and space, also for the ease and speed of workflow.

2) Yes, there is some debate on analog having a warmth that digital does not IMHO. Maybe not so much for those that run a hybrid setup.

3) That depends on whether you are doing this as a living or as a hobby, although gear aquisition syndrome can effect the hobbyist as well, and how serious you take the craft can make cost a factor. Quality analog consoles and tape machines far outweigh the cost of most digital recording setups, not discounting the cost of maintaining analog equipment.

4) Not if its in the digital domain, its much easier...as long as you have a backup

5) Digital download...unless I get the bug to spend dollars on a vinyl release, I'll stick with digital.

6) Who knows that answer...its like asking how long is a piece of string...?

-
    And welcome to RO :D

12. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

Thanks Sean. Q6 is probably a pointless question to be honest.

Q5: Any particular format?

13. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Lossless...WAV, FLAC or ALAC...no lossy formats.

14. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

One more question Sean.
    You don't mind not owning a physical product when buying files?

15. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to, as most of my music is currently on vinyl and compact disc, but with the writing on the wall for CD I think that eventually there really won't be a choice either way, except for the odd release similar to how we see the minor resurgence in vinyl at present, but I think that will be for the purists.

16. Ungeeignet

Ungeeignet Active Member

Thank you very much for your responses Sean.